Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Underhood stickers

Juankimalo

I want to say thanks, to all the friends who had kind words for the underhood/maintenance book sticker replacement

All the people who wanted the replacement underhood or maintenance booklet sticker, where very happy with them, and I'm proud for it.

If you need something, just PM me

lafoto-5.jpg

stickers.jpg
:thumb:

I have to say that as a 996 owner I have an issue with these being available. For any potential buyers, these stickers are a sign of authenticity and non accident damage at the front. If these can now be bought and glued on to any car it removes an important safety net for car ownership.....

Blue One said:
I have to say that as a 996 owner I have an issue with these being available. For any potential buyers, these stickers are a sign of authenticity and non accident damage at the front. If these can now be bought and glued on to any car it removes an important safety net for car ownership.....

Yes and no. You can do plenty of damage to the front without necessarily needing a new bonnet and it is not as it there was ever a hologram or other difficult to reproduce symbol on them. Equally a bonnet can be repainted or replaced for reasons which wouldn't necessarily require structural damage to the car to have occurred. Also of course - the last 996s didn't have them anyway. It was only ever a very loose indicator and possible reason to ask a question - not any kind of concrete evidence nor something that a clued up seller could get around.

Blue One said:

I understand totally where you are coming from and I would be of the same opinion regarding authenticity and originality. I have thought about getting a new one for mine due to the fact that it is virtually unreadable after 12 years, the printed lettering has faded badly and it is only when you actually know what it says on the sticker that you can read it, but I think I will just leave it alone and if any potential buyer in the future comes to see the car they will have to spend quite a while trying to decipher it.

I wouldn't mind getting one of these for my 996.2. Mine has deteriorated a bit due to condensation & time!

I'd personally leave the original one in situ so that any potential buyer can see that there's nothing dodgy going on though. :thumb:

adrian996 said:
I'd personally leave the original one in situ so that any potential buyer can see that there's nothing dodgy going on though. :thumb:

That's the whole point of the sticker, isn't it? It serves no function except to somewhat indicate the car had no frontal repairs that involves the bonnet. I knew about this sticker and if I saw a 10yr old 996 with a spanking new sticker, I know it isn't original and start to think there is something hiding. The original faded sticker is something you cannot reproduce.

This is an interesting thread for me. My 2005 Turbo S doesn't have the sticker on the underside of the bonnet nor in the book and it was nearly a reason why I didn't buy it but then I thought wtf. There did not appear to be any front end damage and checking with Porsche everything was legit and I have a certificate of authenticity which all ties up correctly. So I bought it and three plus years later I am so glad I did. :D

Porsche stopped universal bonnet sticker application in the final model year (overlap with 997) of the 996.

No 996 Turbo S should have one.

humps said:
adrian996 said:

That's the whole point of the sticker, isn't it? It serves no function except to somewhat indicate the car had no frontal repairs that involves the bonnet. I knew about this sticker and if I saw a 10yr old 996 with a spanking new sticker, I know it isn't original and start to think there is something hiding. The original faded sticker is something you cannot reproduce.

They did quite a good job on Hitler's (fake) diaries using just tea :dont know:

My 2005 model year 996t registered Nov 2004 must be one of the last to have a sticker then ! :puh:

I've also seen a 54 plate 997 with one

Mac

Spookly. I've just read the obituary (Telegraph Book of Obituaries) of the chap who sold the Hitler diaires to Stern Magazine. He did indeed use tea to stain the paper :thumb:

My mate used to 'manufacture' WWIL German helmets. He used the oven to bake the decals and then bury them in the garden for a few months. Worked a treat :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DocGastro
Back