Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Underbody trays/ shield fixings

peterzoom

Spa-Francorchamps
I've been noticing that some of the threaded posts to which the undertrays locate and are then affixed by plastic nuts are rusting away.
Mostly they're fine but a few seem to be almost bereft of threads.
Has anyone come upon a solution that doesn't involve drilling them out and replacing them with the available Porsche repair kit?
Seems like going overboard to have to tear down the carpets etc.
There's got to be a better solution... Anyone??

berni29 said:
I purchased these, clean the area and metal glue them on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403442738877

Genius! I just knew this was the perfect forum to find a practical, tried and tested solution. Thank you very much, great idea :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

berni29 said:
I purchased these, clean the area and metal glue them on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403442738877

What glue did you use?

I've made up something similar to the Bighead fasteners by TIG welding a stainless self tapping screw to a large stainless penny washer and drilling a load of holes in the washer. I think the threads on a self-tapper more closely match the originals, so the plastic nuts fit a bit better.

That sounds good. JB Metal Weld

I used riv nuts to fit 997 undertrays along with the gearbox triangle, gearbox cover and rear brake ducts.

Here's my first attempts - please don't laugh at my TIG ability too noisily!

The washer is M8 x 35mm on both, the left hand version has a 5.5 x 25mm thread and the one on the right has a 4.8 x 19mm thread.

The 4.8mm version allows the nut to screw on very easily with your fingers and can be done up very tight without stripping, while the 5.5mm one is too tight to do with your fingers beyond getting it started, but it doesn't appear to stretch a new plastic nut. I'm leaning more towards the larger thread as it feels very secure without being excessively tight.

Attachments

• studs_1_119.png
    studs_1_119.png
    569.1 KB · Views: 985
  • studs_1_119.png
    studs_1_119.png
    569.1 KB · Views: 985
  • studs_2_705.png
    studs_2_705.png
    563.3 KB · Views: 985
  • studs_2_705.png
    studs_2_705.png
    563.3 KB · Views: 985
I'm going for M6 studs and proper stainless nuts and washers. Unlike Porsche I don't mind spending a few £ so it will come apart.

MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acupunch
Back