Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyres

arg918

New member
Joined
18 Mar 2021
Messages
32
I'll need tyres soon for the 997.
The car is still in warranty so I assume i'll need Porsche approved Make/Size/Rating tyres.
Is there a list of these anywhere please?

Thanks for any help.
 
MPS 4S are truly excellent, and even work in the wet.
 
Needs to be N rated
 
Didn't Michelin Pilotsport 4 get N rated? Or you still stuck with old Pilotsport 2's :eek:
 
Honestly I do not see what all the hype is about N rated tyres or any other OE spec tyre for any marque. I do understand that there are some changes to the tyres in line with what the car manufacturers want to get out of that car at launch, but the technology moves on so quickly.

For example a Pirelli P Zero tyre is pretty much hated by most car enthusiasts from different bands, yet they are often OE rated.

On a car between 9 and 17 years old, it really doesn't matter. It's a bit like a CSL owner wanting the best handling from the car, but being adamant the car came with Pilot Sport Cup tyres, so it has to have them, even though they were lethal in the wet. Obviously a Cup 2 tyre would help the driver get more from the car. If the rationale is purely to keep the car exactly as it left the factory, I get that but you won't get the most from the car.

I would hedge my bets that those that insist on N rated tyres haven't tried a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or even a Super Sport and then gone back to an OE N rated tyre because they prefer them. Once you've gone to MPS4S or MPSS you never really look back at putting an N rated MPS2 on.

By the way, I've got some practically new Bridgestone's 235/35/19 and 305/30/19's kicking about I really should sell on if anyone wants them. Ask me what I replaced them with...
 
1marc said:
....... If the rationale is purely to keep the car exactly as it left the factory, I get that but you won't get the most from the car .........

But, if the rationale is (as in the OP's case) to keep the car under warranty, you haven't got any choice.
 
T8 said:
1marc said:
....... If the rationale is purely to keep the car exactly as it left the factory, I get that but you won't get the most from the car .........

But, if the rationale is (as in the OP's case) to keep the car under warranty, you haven't got any choice.

Didn't realise they'd hang you out to dry for not fitting N rated tyres. Fair enough then, if that is the case. Shame though, as there are so many better options that can owners out of warranty would benefit from.

OP, what size do you need? Assume 235 front and 295 or 305 rears?
 
1marc said:
Honestly I do not see what all the hype is about N rated tyres or any other OE spec tyre for any marque. I do understand that there are some changes to the tyres in line with what the car manufacturers want to get out of that car at launch, but the technology moves on so quickly.

For example a Pirelli P Zero tyre is pretty much hated by most car enthusiasts from different bands, yet they are often OE rated.

On a car between 9 and 17 years old, it really doesn't matter. It's a bit like a CSL owner wanting the best handling from the car, but being adamant the car came with Pilot Sport Cup tyres, so it has to have them, even though they were lethal in the wet. Obviously a Cup 2 tyre would help the driver get more from the car. If the rationale is purely to keep the car exactly as it left the factory, I get that but you won't get the most from the car.

I would hedge my bets that those that insist on N rated tyres haven't tried a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or even a Super Sport and then gone back to an OE N rated tyre because they prefer them. Once you've gone to MPS4S or MPSS you never really look back at putting an N rated MPS2 on.

By the way, I've got some practically new Bridgestone's 235/35/19 and 305/30/19's kicking about I really should sell on if anyone wants them. Ask me what I replaced them with...

Spot on :thumb:
 
I have just put on a set of MPS4S. Apparently N2 tyres are on back-order with no set times.

I have 2 x 2020 Mich PS2 N2 tyres with more than 6mm - 1 x 235 35 and 1 x 305 30 - if of any interest.
 
1marc said:
T8 said:
1marc said:
....... If the rationale is purely to keep the car exactly as it left the factory, I get that but you won't get the most from the car .........

But, if the rationale is (as in the OP's case) to keep the car under warranty, you haven't got any choice.

Didn't realise they'd hang you out to dry for not fitting N rated tyres. Fair enough then, if that is the case. Shame though, as there are so many better options that can owners out of warranty would benefit from.

OP, what size do you need? Assume 235 front and 295 or 305 rears?

The more people I talk to about Porsche Extended Warranty (as I've got), the more I hear that Porsche will try to wriggle out of it at any and every opportunity, tyres being one of them. Regardless, I recently got a set of PS4S as I thought those were the best for my 997 despite my sizes not being n rated. I'm going to get a set of winter wheels/tyres and will make sure I have n rated winter tyres so I can at least swap over, even in summer, if I need warranty work doing by an OPC.
 
Flyingelburro said:
The more people I talk to about Porsche Extended Warranty (as I've got), the more I hear that Porsche will try to wriggle out of it at any and every opportunity, tyres being one of them. Regardless, I recently got a set of PS4S as I thought those were the best for my 997 despite my sizes not being n rated. I'm going to get a set of winter wheels/tyres and will make sure I have n rated winter tyres so I can at least swap over, even in summer, if I need warranty work doing by an OPC.

I don't know who you've been speaking to but I've rarely heard of what most would call a legitimate claim being refused. Not having N rated tyres fitted would only invalidate a claim if the car failure was directly caused by the tyres.

There's a big difference between a car being refused a warranty - because of non-N rated tyres fitted at time of inspection - and the refusal of a claim.

If the warranty work you need doing is nothing to do with the tyres there would be no need for you to swap them over before taking it in.
 
[/quote]

I don't know who you've been speaking to but I've rarely heard of what most would call a legitimate claim being refused. Not having N rated tyres fitted would only invalidate a claim if the car failure was directly caused by the tyres.

There's a big difference between a car being refused a warranty - because of non-N rated tyres fitted at time of inspection - and the refusal of a claim.

If the warranty work you need doing is nothing to do with the tyres there would be no need for you to swap them over before taking it in.[/quote]

Great to hear a more positive outlook :thumb:
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,582
Messages
1,446,529
Members
49,734
Latest member
11erCharlie
Back
Top