Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

TVR Cerbera

Stevie

Monza
I think that I am going to go for it.

I am fully aware of the verbal salvo that may potentially occur but that is one sweet looking machine and until I can afford a real "sports car" it may have to do.

Views?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14343

Its true that is a different approach to Porsche - but I have to say its one mean looking motor and FAST. Go for it respect.
nopopups();
//-->

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14352

Stevie

The only thing I would consider is this.

I have been looking for a 911 for some time now and a time ago viewed a 993 C4 with 130K on the clock.

After chatting with the guy who was selling it and getting some back ground info he told me that he had previously had a TVR. I remarked how tight the 993 was considering its mileage to which he replied that the previous TVR had more rattles and noises after 40K than the 130K Porsche does now!

One of my co workers has a Griffith 500 and he admits, great car, bur c**p build.

If its sheer power / grunt / noise then it has to be the TVR, but for engineering / Build / Longevity as well then it must be the Porsche.

Sorry if this don't help.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14353

As an ex-TVR owner (four years with a Chimaera), I have to agree with rayM although, imho, the problem is worse than cr*p build quality.

Once the workforce has the measure of a car, the build quality is not too bad at best. The Cerbera's pretty long in the tooth and most of the bugs have been shaken out, even those involving TVR's own engine (buy a Speed Six, not the TVR V8 -- the Rover V8 is unburstable. But that's another story).

No, the problem is design. Eg TVR bundles long, very hot exhaust pipes under a non-heat-conducting fibreglass bonnet. It crams in plenty of electrical components, eg starter motors, distributors etc. and then expects them to work. They don't. Suspension arms -- made of stuff that rusts, yet poorly protected from the elements. I could go on but you get the picture.

Wonderful to drive though and great to sit in, with lots of comments from admiring passers-by. If you want visibility, get a TVR. I'm happy with my 993...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14359

Do you thing the newer modules such as the Tuscan will have the same design/ build issues ?
nopopups();
//-->

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14360

Absolutely, as far as I know the TVR's own AJP engines are prone to giving up the ghost at any time. It's not a case of "if" but "when"

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14363

Good points but for 15-18k you get a lot of power and probably depreciation will be slight at that price also.

Can't see a 993 I want for less than 30k and don't have 30k at present.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14364

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by johnny on 25 March 2004

Do you thing the newer modules such as the Tuscan will have the same design/ build issues ?
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>
nopopups();
//-->
Friend of mine had to send his Tuscan back to the factory for a new engine no fewer than three times. Does this answer your question?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14365

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stevie on 25 March 2004

Good points but for 15-18k you get a lot of power and probably depreciation will be slight at that price also.

Can't see a 993 I want for less than 30k and don't have 30k at present.
Yup, with TVR you get a lot of bang for your buck. But since there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, you get pain and the sound of your wallet imploding. Buying a TVR is, in my humble opinion, a perfectly valid choice provided you know the trade-off you're making.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14366

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back