Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo S Cab battery issue?

Rob G

Hi all, only had the car a week and have a potentially concerning issue with the battery. I bought a lithium Ctek to keep things in check as it will be used quite sparingly. Yesterday I took the car off charge (showing all 7 lights on the Ctek), drove for an hour to my destination, parked for 10 minutes, then an hour back. Mostly motorway cruising with only a few short blasts. When I returned and switched off, I got a message suggesting that the PCM could be used again once the battery level was sufficient (or words to that effect).
Is this a common thing, or have I discovered the beginning of an issue?
I'm off to the Alps in 4 weeks so if a trip to a PC is required I'd rather know ahead of time.

Sounds normal to me, it’s just a warning that if you use the in car entertainment it will drain the battery..

Thanks. I reconnected the Ctek straight after and it sat on the second green light for a while suggesting the battery was a bit low.
I'll keep an eye on it.

have seen that message on a Taycan, the electrical draw from the car is quite significant, esp the PCM

normal message tbh as it's the 12V battery doing the work and the lithium batteries have a very limited capacity

1715609948961.png

have seen that message on a Taycan, the electrical draw from the car is quite significant, esp the PCM

normal message tbh as it's the 12V battery doing the work and the lithium batteries have a very limited capacity

View attachment 100838
That's exactly the message, thank you. So are you saying this is normal? I've not driven the car much but this is the first time I've noticed it and I thought it concerning to see straight after a 2hr drive - almost as if the alternator wasn't charging properly...

Btw, check your voltmeter as you drive, if it’s charging at around 13.5V or below, then that’s at full(ish) charge status, anything over that and it’s essentially recharging the battery..
So, as you start driving from cold you’ll see a higher voltage (15V) and after a while it’ll drop back to 13.5V.

Battery chargers such as Ctek will show fully charged, disconnect it for 30mins, and reconnect and one or two lights will definitely be out. This is perfectly normal imo.

That's exactly the message, thank you. So are you saying this is normal? I've not driven the car much but this is the first time I've noticed it and I thought it concerning to see straight after a 2hr drive - almost as if the alternator wasn't charging properly...
completely normal, a lot of manufacturers use mild hybrid systems just to power all of the electronics as those 12V batteries aren't enough, unfortunately Porsche dont have any MHEV solutions yet
there is a lot of tech in the car, as soon as you turn off, it's a fail safe system to stop the battery from used up

just to check, do you see the message when you turn off the car ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssc
Back