Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tuning fork suspension arm replacement

Old Greg

Hi All

I'm replacing the tuning forks on the front of my C2 at the weekend, and need to know the torque settings for the bolts. Could anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance!

30 inches. That's the length of the Snap-On extension a mechanic uses to tighten the bolts.

(No, I'm not being flippant.)

Is it an easy job?

(Not that I would attempt it myself :eh!: )

It's a very very easy job, takes longer to jack the car and remove the wheels than it does to do the job.
Anyway so I changed both arms this afternoon and after a test drive I have yo say that there is a noticable improve as the previous rattle/knock has gone. In addition the car seems to steer better into corners, I found myself fighting it a little on faster bends and the steering has lost some accuracy. The balljoints were very sloppy (see below). £100 well spent.

Vid:

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/...9421A8CB-195-00000009A49A09AD_zps837921da.mp4

Is the forum consensus that if you change these for new items the geometry is fine with no need to realign? I guess both ends of each fork is rigidly mounted with no adjustment so part tolerance differences aside there should be no change... ( thinking of changing these , despite fairly recent centre grav geo set up)

bigdry said:
Is the forum consensus that if you change these for new items the geometry is fine with no need to realign? I guess both ends of each fork is rigidly mounted with no adjustment so part tolerance differences aside there should be no change... ( thinking of changing these , despite fairly recent centre grav geo set up)

Chris will have checked that all the bushes were still serviceable before putting a geo on. All those arms really control is the caster, so you won't be changing anything fundamental in the geo by replacing them. There's effectively 2 bushes involved in caster; one on the arm & the other on the coffin arm that the forked end bolts through. You'd only be replacing the one on the forked arm.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xx22
Back