Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Treatment for black trim?

wilpert

Indianapolis
Whats the best and easiest treatment for the plastic exterior trim, i.e. the bit under the front windscreen and the window rubbers.
Mine is looking pretty greyish and i want to revive it.

I also want to give the car a decent waxover this side if the winter, as I will be driving it most every work day throughout the winter and I leave it outdoors all of the time.
My other car is is silver and doesnt take a lot of polishing to make it ook good. This car is Atlas Grey and I was told that zymol carbon is good for this and other dark colours?
I'm not too ocd about the finish on my car but a good user friendly treatment would be good.

thanks in advance.

For interior trim I have used werkstat satin protect on previous cars. However, I have not yet used it on the Cayman.

In terms of providing some winter protection, I have tried many different waxes over the years but the best I have found for durability through the winter is Collinite 476s which is an old school carnauba wax. It is excellent but don't do the full car in one go! It is a major pain in the ass to polish off if you leave it on too long.

If you just want the best look on the metallic silver I would used Menzerna Powerlock which is a sealant which look great and is simplicity itself to apply and take off, but lasts only approx three months for me, as opposed to the six months I get with Collinite.

thanks sixer,
Any special prep required for either of the above or just a good shampoo and rinse?

Im not really experienced in all of this clay stuff, i like quick and easy.

A good shampoo and rinse will do BUT I would strongly recommend claying the car beforehand. If you get the right stuff claying is easy. I use Bilt hamber auto clay regular it's about 10 quid (ebay) and it doesn't require any special lubes, just water. Claying takes off all the muck that is likely making your car's paint look dull.

My method would be wheels, wash, clay whilst car is still wet with hose constantly running fine spray and then wax with Collinite.

and whats that other stuff in a yellow bottle that you put on before the collonite? nano summat or other?

Gtechniq C4 on the plastics (i.e. under the wipers), nothing else touches it in my book! :thumb:

wilpert said:
and whats that other stuff in a yellow bottle that you put on before the collonite? nano summat or other?

Can't think what this may be but you don't NEED to put anything under Collinite if you don't want to. Nano sealant is just another type of sealant.

Ducky said:
Gtechniq C4 on the plastics (i.e. under the wipers), nothing else touches it in my book! :thumb:

G4 is very good. Not cheap though....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markt13
Back