Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Traded my Gen 2 Carrera for a 981 Boxster S

Cheshire cat

Monza
I've had an 09 plate Carrera PDK with lots of options (PSE, PASM, Bose, Sport Chrono, cruise etc etc) for the best part of a year but can't say I was ever 100% happy with it. Don't get me wrong, I think they are fantastic cars but after having driven my mates' manual Gen 1 Carrera S I can't help thinking that Porsche had made the Gen 2 Carrera just a bit too civilised. It didn't steer as well or sound as good as the Gen 1 car and whilst happy with the car I always felt there was something missing in terms of driver involvement. The PDK box probably had a lot to do with this as, brilliant though it undoubtedly is, there really is no substitute for a manual gear change in a sports car interns of driver involvement (IMO!).

I had read and watched the video reviews of The 981 Boxster when it was launched last year and felt I had to see for myself what all the fuss was about. Suffice to say after a couple of test drives in a Boxster S PDK and a base manual (thank you Wilmslow OPC) I was thoroughly convinced. The PDK is even better in the new generation of cars and I particularly liked the rev matched downshifts when pressing on, though after saying all that I still preferred driving the manual. The 2.7 Boxster with a manual gearbox felt like all the car you would ever need on British roads, feeling genuinely quick and willing to rev, which you need to do to get the performance out as the engine is a bit short on torque. I finally settled though on a manual 3.4 S and picked the car up 2 weeks ago from OPC Guildford, who were extremely helpful and professional throughout. The car is in Agate grey with agate/pebble full leather, 20 inch Carrera Classic wheels, PASM, nav, cruise, park assist, sound package plus and power steering plus.

To say I am happy with the decision I made would be a massive understatement. I was sad to see the Carrera go because it is undoubtedly a great car but I just never really bonded with it. The Boxster feels just about as quick in a straight line and much faster in the twisties. The handling, ride, steering and engine sound are all better (IMO) than the Carrera and very many people have commented positively on the looks. The new Boxster is still a relatively rare car "oop north". My two previous cars to the Carrera were convertibles so I also enjoy the flexibility of dropping the top. I'm having a PSE fitted next month as part of the deal and am really looking forward to hearing how it sounds then.
Has anyone else made the switch from a 996/997 to a 981 Boxster?

Some say the 981 is near there where a traditional 911 used to be. However it would never be a choice for me.
But you need to be lucky. So enjoy your Boxster.

I did and have never locked back, certainly v f m and looks wise , can't see how a company can make a car 40% cheaper than the 991 and only be 5% slower

Well done! I had the 981 Boxster S Manual for 5 days and I loved it. It's definately a car I'll consider replacing my 997 with in the future.

Have you got any pictures? I'd like to see it in your colour with the 20's.

Here is a pic of the car when I picked it up from Porsche Guildford. I am very happy with my decision and even happier than I went back to a manual 'box.

Attachments

• image_971.jpg
    image_971.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 3,934
I currently have Gen 2 997 similar to yours,OP, though it's a manual, and I'm changing for a 981 Cayman S. the 997 is an absolute peach and i'll be sorry to see it go but... Must get round to doing a classified. :)

Maxy M said:
I currently have Gen 2 997 similar to yours,OP, though it's a manual, and I'm changing for a 981 Cayman S. the 997 is an absolute peach and i'll be sorry to see it go but... Must get round to doing a classified. :)
Don't do it. :wack:

Cheshire cat said:
The 2.7 Boxster with a manual gearbox felt like all the car you would ever need on British roads, feeling genuinely quick and willing to rev, which you need to do to get the performance out as the engine is a bit short on torque.

IMO you have a very valid point there

Congratulations on your Boxster S 981 - absolutely gorgeous car, especially i n Agate with the Carrera Classic wheels. I have (this week) traded my 997 Gen 1 C4S Tiptronic for a new Cayman S 981. I share your view - the C4S was and is a great car, but IMHO the Cayman is better - more refined, involving and better handling. It is at least as quick, and certainly more agile in the bends. For what it's worth, I think it looks fab too. Since I too am in Cheshire, I'll look out for you!

Attachments

• cayman_s_2_532.jpg
    cayman_s_2_532.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 3,213

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yakker
Back