Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tractive Suspension

A reality check for the excited new Tractive users, this is what one of my rear Tractive dampers looks like after 5.5 years and 25K miles, apparently needs a new damper rod as it was damaged from the crap one picks up through daily street driving.

Edited: A set of dust covers would help for a road-going car. If the new ones don't come with them, then maybe whoever's fitting the suspension could find a suitable size aftermarket and fit them before mounting :?:

Only a few quid per corner for a universal dust cover and would save any aggro down the line.

Screenshot-2022-03-11-at-17-54-26.png

Alternatively, these Coilover 'Shock Socks' are made from Neoprene and cover the entire spring and damper shaft. They can be velcro'd on after the suspension has already been fitted and would keep the worst crud out.

Screenshot-2022-03-12-at-09-53-01.png

Cost about £30 per set of four - other brands are available.

https://coilovers.co.uk/coilovers-c...7P1LPs13FVTw874vLdwwDiyeQNgvQgWRoCL9MQAvD_BwE

I hate to think what they will look like after 12 months of my use! :D

Thats really interesting to see some that are a few years old and had some use
Are these the same electronically adjustable ones or are these manual adjustment
Don't know if it makes any difference to the basic construction but it would be interesting to know if they are the same or if they have modified these in the 5 years that you have had them. I know mine do have dust covers but I am not sure if they really make that much difference
How long should we expect shock absorbers to work without a rebuild, as I mentioned in an earlier post I had my suspension rebuilt on my car as one of the original Bilsteins had failed and another one was getting weak and that was a car that had only done about 20,000, must admit I was surprised at them failing at that mileage
Of course the other plus with the old tech is they are quite cheap to re-build
Sending them back to Bilstein was the cheap bit. I expect the Tractive re-build will be a bit more. One of the reasons I have stayed with the 996 was as soon as electronics start to get involved the cost seems to jump up and running a modern car without any warranty can get a bit scary and here I am fitting electronics Bother!( did say something stronger but it got censored)

I wouldn't worry too much, given TracTive's relatively short history, those shocks must have been an early version to be 5.5 years old and I'm sure there would have been material upgrades along the way.

Happy to be corrected but AFAIK, the DDA valve version didn't come out 'til c2018/19 and the motorsport derived engineering in TracTive products, seems very well specified.

I'm sure with a suitable dust cover/shock sock for road-use and some occasional maintenance, they should last well.

Those socks look a sensible option - I will stick on a set as mine used on pretty muddy roads. :thumbs:

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_83f_704.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_83f_704.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 3,804
Whats the 'shelf life' of the Tractive suspension?

Will they start to sag/need replacing at the rear like OEM after 5 years or are they good to infinity and beyond?

911Time said:
Happy to be corrected but AFAIK, the DDA valve version didn't come out 'til c2018/19 and the motorsport derived engineering in TracTive products, seems very well specified.

Mine are DDA and were new in 09/16.

tb993tt said:
911Time said:

Mine are DDA and were new in 09/16.

Thanks for the clarification :thumb:

In that case, I stand corrected: My information was based on the statements made on TracTive's website but you must have been one of the very first using DDA, before they began any volume production.

Are you aware if/how TracTive have changed the product specs, since your early units and in retrospect, would you be inclined to fit TracTive again, if you had your time over? Albeit perhaps, with shock boots/socks, to protect the shaft/seals from daily crud?

Tractive + DSC mapping

What settings would you recommend for the DSC?
On my 997C4S (40/110 springs)
Normal: 1200/600 Front, 1100/600 Rear, 10% Gcomfort.
The rear still seems to jar/jumps a little especially over rough roads.

Sport: 800/500 Front & Rear, 12% Gcomfort
Better control but feels a little too stiff over rough roads.

NineExcellence said:
IMI A said:
You're still running 997.1 GT3 RS spring rates on my 997 turbo with this new Tractive Touring set up Ken? Surely its much firmer than my old lowering spring and DSC set up? When am I getting her back :D

Yours are custom 40/110 springs

It feels great compared to how it was before

Because we can run 0.2amps full soft via dsc together with the dampening it can in full soft mode be softer / stock pasm or dsc setting is 0.4 amps - same as full hard setting stock is 1.4 amps generally on pasm where as we can run almost 2 amps

I'll chase Andy at Special ops again

Re: Tractive + DSC mapping

moralman said:
What settings would you recommend for the DSC?
On my 997C4S (40/110 springs)
Normal: 1200/600 Front, 1100/600 Rear, 10% Gcomfort.
The rear still seems to jar/jumps a little especially over rough roads.

Sport: 800/500 Front & Rear, 12% Gcomfort
Better control but feels a little too stiff over rough roads.

NineExcellence said:
IMI A said:
You're still running 997.1 GT3 RS spring rates on my 997 turbo with this new Tractive Touring set up Ken? Surely its much firmer than my old lowering spring and DSC set up? When am I getting her back :D

Yours are custom 40/110 springs

It feels great compared to how it was before

Because we can run 0.2amps full soft via dsc together with the dampening it can in full soft mode be softer / stock pasm or dsc setting is 0.4 amps - same as full hard setting stock is 1.4 amps generally on pasm where as we can run almost 2 amps

I'll chase Andy at Special ops again

I've driven a GT2 and 997.1 GT3 RS which I believe run similar spring rates. I personally found both a bit too choppy for UK roads. Maybe try softening off the rear tyre pressure in first instance? I like to run 29 psi at from and 33 psi cold at rear so way softer than manufacturers recommendation - might help but those springs you're running very firm for a C4S. See attached :thumbs:

Attachments

• suspension_spring_rates_740.xls
    48 KB · Views: 35
Roro said:
Excellent. I can't imagine it will be worse than what you have now in any way, so I look forward to your glowing report
:)
Exactly. the way I see it is, even just swapping for a new OEM set of springs and dampers, there should at least be some perceivable improvement. I know the shock were refurbished by the previous owner, but that was a while back.

The Tractives are newer, faster tech and have different springs, so should make a noticeable difference.

QLnpUGpD.jpg

LHz41fsY.jpg

WUoXfaqw.jpg

That's interesting how the new springs have a lot less metal in them. Are these going to lower your car, is this just the design? Does less of a coil mean there's more range of movement available or something?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bll56
Back