Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Track Day

stokie1

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi All

Is anyone aware of any "sensible" track days where like minded porsche / other owners can try out their pride and joy in a relatively safe environment.

Ive done a few in my race car and there are some lunatics around on general track days..

stokie1 said:
Hi All

Is anyone aware of any "sensible" track days where like minded porsche / other owners can try out their pride and joy in a relatively safe environment.

Ive done a few in my race car and there are some lunatics around on general track days..

Hi Stokie1,

I agree with T8 - safer with like minded owners from PCGB or TIPEC.

As you're also a Staffordshire dweller, have you thought about the sprint course at Curborough (near Lichfield)? I know for a fact that both PCGB R9 West Mids and TIPEC Central group arrange club days there and at Donny.

The PCGB days tend to sell out very quickly but TIPEC's seem more readily available. You could always consider a day in your own car at PEC Silverstone, as an alternative.

If you're insured with a Porsche Club policy through someone like Lockton, then PCGB organised track days are covered.

I'd agree that club track days are better than open track or general open entry track days - I've seen some massive stupidity (if not any actual crashes) that are less likely but still possible on club days.

What I have also learned is to stay away from any SUVs at the track - when their brakes let go, there's over 2 tons of uncontrollable mass all over the place... :dont know:

stokie1 said:
Hi All

Stick to the bigger circuits, such as Silverstone

As above, go with the Porsche specific days with PCGB and TIPEC. Having done a fair number of track days, these groups are night and day over the general sessions.

Right from a much more detailed driver safety briefing at the outset, through to fewer cars on track and a generally safer tone from all drivers in keeping to the rules and being sensible.

I'm not a Porsche owner at the moment, but remember a PCGB event at Oulton many years ago when I had my 964.

Someone was doing a shakedown in a Carrera 3.2 race car and an oil pipe let go on the main straight. He was fine (although there were some spectacular flames), but the 993 Turbo behind him span, and ended up taking out the side of the car on the pit wall.

The event was very well run, however it is wrong to assume that it will be safe - accidents happen!!

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed it and saw some fantastic cars showing what they were good at

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chmanc911
Back