Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Top Gear runway - possible 996 max speed?

RJG18

Trainee
Today I stupidly missed out on a chance to drive on the Dunsfold (Top Gear) runway with no speed limit at the Wings and Wheels show. A friend offered us a last minute Club exhibitor spot organised through Goodwood, but I declined assuming it would just be a static display. Gutted to discover I would have also got to do a display run on the runway.

Anyway, got me thinking, what is the maximum speed I would have likely got up to? The runway is 1.74 miles, and I'm in a 1999 3.4 litre C2. Someone we were with got their highly modified Celica up to around 155-160mph, and I'd like to think the 996 could do better. Anyone got any experience of runway driving?

Should have added that I'm aware that the top speed of the C2 is 174mph or 177mph or 179mph (depending which figures you believe) but I'd assume you can't get that speed over that distance. I would guess the last 10mph itself would take a mile or two to get to, as the rate of acceleration slows.

Your Aris would have been going , tanner, two bob, dustbin lid at around 145, so thats my guess.

Dream on if you thought plus 160.

LOLLERS

:floor:

A 996 C4 today got to 135 in the wet and on the 3rd run had lots of white smoke coming out of 1 exhaust

My 993c2 was 125 in the wet and just over 140 in the dry :eek:

stuttgartmetal said:
Your Aris would have been going , tanner, two bob, dustbin lid at around 145, so thats my guess.

Dream on if you thought plus 160.

LOLLERS

:floor:

I know what most of those words mean, but not in that order :?

clinchy993 said:
A 996 C4 today got to 135 in the wet and on the 3rd run had lots of white smoke coming out of 1 exhaust

My 993c2 was 125 in the wet and just over 140 in the dry :eek:

I saw two fantastic looking 993's in the paddock earlier, assume one of them was yours?

RJG18 said:
Today I stupidly missed out on a chance to drive on the Dunsfold .........

Anyway, got me thinking, what is the maximum speed I would have likely got up to? The runway is 1.74 miles, and I'm in a 1999 3.4 litre C2.

Someone we were with got their highly modified Celica up to around 155-160mph, and I'd like to think the 996 could do better. Anyone got any experience of runway driving?

The Dunsfold straight as used at 'W&W' is quite short. Last year in my 996.2 C4 my best run topped out at 137. Yesterday in the 996T I hit 155.

If you want to top 150 in your car the most accessible place to do it legally in the UK would be Bruntingthorpe. Drag starts to overcome BHP once you get over that so for 160+ I think you'd need an autobahn.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back