Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To wait or not to wait, that is the ?

WineMerchant

I have had on order a 997 C2 since march this year and am told that I should expect delivery Nov / Dec 04 but the wait is becoming almost unbearable. The dealer has offered several 996 and said I shouldn't loose much when I trade it in (they all say that, haven't had a car yet that doesn't drop like a stone) how much of a drop do they normally take once the latest model comes out ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11831

Welcome to the site. A recent post suggested that new 996's loose approx. £1k a month! Quite a sobering thought. Older cars obviously loose less though.

If you want to minimise depreciation but run a great, reliable, driveable 911 for a year I would recommend you buy a low mileage 993. They are holding their value well, are great cars and will not tie up too much of your hard-earned. Easy to sell on in a year's time (or part-ex for the 997). They can be had for high twenties or low thirties (£k)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11832

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by WineMerchant on 17 December 2003

The dealer has offered several 996 and said I shouldn't loose much when I trade it in (they all say that, haven't had a car yet that doesn't drop like a stone).
Be interesting to ask them for a guarenteed buy back price if they are so confident !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11834

buy a 993 or even a 993RS like James says, then you will forget all about the new 997 coz the 993 is the best 911, except the 996 GT3 (probably).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11842

When it comes to buying a 996 with very little loss, here is the secret.

Buy one of the Niche high demand models, and buy it new not used. I drove around in my 996 C4S for a year, sold it back through an OPC Sale or Return, for list price. Ok I had to pay commision to the dealer which equates to £200 a month. But then I had no servicing costs, no new tyres etc etc, so it was pretty cheap ownership.

I swapped this for a new GT3 and expect this also to see for list price. This will then be changed for a GT3RS in March, and hopefully that will hold it's value.

Doing it this way, it is usually the second owner who takes the hit.

Niche 996 Models at the moment are, 996 C4S Cab, Turbo Cab, GT3. I would keep away from the Aniversary 911, and the GT2 as they will take a massive hit. As for the standard C2 / C4 there are to many nearly new cars around so they will take a hit also.

I also did this for 3 years with Boxsters, and had very minimal depreciation on all of them.

I am very lucky though as I have a great relationship with my dealer, and can usually get the cars pretty quickly.

Cheers

Sean

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11848

i think a 18-24 month old 996 should provide the best value, bought sensibly you'll probably only lose around £4 or £5k per year (fingers crossed!)

get the facelift model though!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11849

agreed with the agonising wait on a 997. we orderd a 996 C4S last september, justswapped lists onto the 997, looking at at least ANOTHER year. i dont think i can cope. its not even my car!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11891

I have a nice GT3 Mk2 available early in the new year. Depreciation proof 911 ownership if your interested.

One Careful owner :)

Merry Christmas

Sean

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11892

Motorway miles only eh Sean?!!

By the way, saw a GT3RS at the OPC the other day. Had the red decals and looked awesome. I was not totally into the look from magazine pictures but in the flesh its very special.

As far as an interim car before 997, I'd probably want to go for a 996 GT3 or a C4S if I had to justify the pretend back seats.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11898

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 17 December 2003

buy a 993 or even a 993RS like James says, then you will forget all about the new 997 coz the 993 is the best 911, except the 996 GT3 (probably).
I agree with Poon, and I know where there is a fantastic 993 for sale right now!!!

:wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11987

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back