Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To those that have Ohlins

An unnecessarily antagonistic post from Porsche GT, but not unexpected bearing in mind David’s modus operandi on several forums over many years.

I'm glad you've found alternative springs for your car David. As everyone on the PH Porsche forum knows, you're the suspension expert, and I've no doubt that your choice of spring rates were chosen after much careful consideration, and are perfectly suited to the damper's existing design parameters.

I'm not sure how you've arrived at that conclusion ? but I can tell you categorically that I've not stated nor suggested at any point in any post anywhere that I'm having springs manufactured.

Any suggestion that I am, is either down to your inability to understand the subtleties of the English language, or a product of your over-active imagination, because I've merely stated I'm in the process of developing a custom Ohlins R&T spring kit, which it what they are, non-standard (custom) spring rates (when compared with the springs Ohlins supply with their dampers) and for the record, where I source those springs from is my business, and only my business. It could be Faulkeners, it could be H&R, it could be Swift, and yes, it could even be Eibach. Whichever it is, it's nothing to do with you.

If you think my not releasing the spring rates I've arrived at, is not helpful to this community, that's your prerogative, but I suggest you give RPM Technik a call and ask them to divulge the spring rates that they arrived at for their CSR conversions, or failing that you could always try asking KW UK. But I have suspicion I know what their answer will be.
Congratulations on your pathetically lame attempt at taking me on a guilt trip.

Over the years, many have referred to you as troll on PistonHeads, and when you post comments such as those you've made in the post above, it only serves to reinforce that perspective.

To date I've invested a lot of time and money into developing the spring kit for 996 Ohlins R&T kit, and the process still isn't complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
An unnecessarily antagonistic post from Porsche GT, but not unexpected bearing in mind David’s modus operandi on several forums over many years.

I'm glad you've found alternative springs for your car David. As everyone on the PH Porsche forum knows, you're the suspension expert, and I've no doubt that your choice of spring rates were chosen after much careful consideration, and are perfectly suited to the damper's existing design parameters.

I note that much in the same manner you said recently on PH that I'd "slagged off the Ohlins R&T's for 10 years before buying a set and it amused you” you've now come to the conclusion I'm having custom springs manufactured for the spring kits I propose to market.

I'm not sure how you've arrived at that conclusion ? but I can tell you categorically that I've not stated nor suggested at any point in any post anywhere that I'm having springs manufactured.

Any suggestion that I am, is either down to your inability to understand the subtleties of the English language, or a product of your over-active imagination, because I've merely stated I'm in the process of developing a custom Ohlins R&T spring kit, which it what they are, non-standard (custom) spring rates (when compared with the springs Ohlins supply with their dampers) and for the record, where I source those springs from is my business, and only my business. It could be Faulkeners, it could be H&R, it could be Swift, and yes, it could even be Eibach. Whichever it is, it's nothing to do with you.

If you think my not releasing the spring rates I've arrived at, is not helpful to this community, that's your prerogative, but I suggest you give RPM Technik a call and ask them to divulge the spring rates that they arrived at for their CSR conversions, or failing that you could always try asking KW UK. But I have suspicion I know what their answer will be.
Congratulations on your pathetically lame attempt at taking me on a guilt trip.

Over the years, many have referred to you as troll on PistonHeads, and when you post comments such as those you've made in the post above, it only serves to reinforce that perspective.

To date I've invested a lot of time and money into developing the spring kit for 996 Ohlins R&T kit, and the process still isn't complete.

I won't waste my time explaining the finer details to you, but rest assured there's a lot more to consider than raw numbers when it comes to choosing a set of springs with reduced rates. Of course you’ll come out with the same old defence that you’re “trying to learn and understand” but the reality is, as we’ve seen numerous times on PistonHeads, you have no interest in learning, you just enjoy trolling because it’s what you do, and what you’ve always done.

As others have suggested over the years, you appear to suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect :

If you’d learn to change your forum modus operandi, and post pleasantly rather than in an overtly antagonistic manner, such as your post above, I’d willingly discuss spring rates with you on here or via PM, but I know that ultimately it would be a waste of my time and energy.
this isn't Pistonheads, if anyone would like to raise an issue with the site to another users post's then use the report function

I thought your post was very reserved to be honest mate.

Trying out numerous combinations of springs is a very time consuming and costly venture and if anyone thinks that the various suspension companies go much further than getting to one that works pretty well and saying "yeah that works" is deluded.
And Porsche are making to a very strict budget, hence why the stock suspension is adequate at best.

Doing this to try and get a decent product to market that will really work for UK roads is a great idea, and as we know, in the car game, many of these products values are not based on the cost to produce the item, but the overall cost to work out which item truly works best.

It is then up to the individual to decide whether they want to pay for this product or keep buying similar and throwing them onto the car until they find something they are happy with.

HI Matt I run R&T Ohlins on my 997 GTS as a road car I have softer spring rates, imo no need to swap the rear ARB as that just bring backs the bumps, as the shock is a 2 way you can make it handle how you want any way. I also fitted adjustable front LCA to set the car up nice for fast road use.
I have a build thread some where on here. think form memory i run -1.8 camber on the front and run the car lower than oem which also gave me a ton more front track. A lot of people fit top mounts and then you don;t get the extra front track I wanted hence fitting adjustable LCA's.

I very much doubt Slippy is having custom springs made for him, the cost would be daft to do this circa £3k I bet up front and then you have to sell high per unit to recover the costs to get any money back and where is the market for this on 12 year old cars !
However @PorscheGT

I had custom spring rates on my ex 996 GT3 for my Manthey KW suspension that better reflected UK roads, rare but if the option exists it's very useful because everything out of the box is a one size fit all compromise based on a specific set of conditions

every set up is different, as you have said a road car (your Carrera GTS) doesn't need it but a 911 GT is very different (completely different set up) and so is every driver

I'm not an Ohlins user but it's insightful to get other owner experiences

C4 PDK cab, standard springs, new Bilstein B6 dampers and DSC sports controller works for me. Then again, I won’t be tracking it though the wife wants to have a go 🫣

Thanks all for comments. All very useful and appreciated.

In the end I went for B16 damptronics and will get a DSC at some point. I spoke to Center Gravity and they were very helpful also.

The DSC makes the difference in the tide and handling night and day. I did not believe all the hype, but for me it transformed the car

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andyrhodes70
Back