Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To those that have Ohlins

Weston Matt

Monza
Evening. Looking at the condition of my shocks (rusting around the top mounts), I’ve decided to upgrade. My preferred option is Ohlins and I’m looking for feedback from the guys that have them.

How do you like them and do you regret your choice?

Thanks

I have PASM but never use the sport mode as it’s too hard. And I don’t want DSC and B16 due to the cost. Will change sway bars at some point. I’m 99% on Ohlins, just like some feedback on those that have

My 997.2 (sold a while ago) had Ohlins dampers, the cars road holding was really great - tracked the ground wonderfully, wasn’t overly stiff, and always felt you knew what the car was doing. It had aero as well, but felt as planted at high numbers as it did at legal speeds. I’d like another 997 or a 991 later this year, I would certainly go Ohlins again, or KW. Trick will be good set up and good tyres!

If you find the "sport" PASM setting too stiff I would 100% try the DSC module before you do anything else - it makes a huge difference on the standard set up. When I had standard dampers on mine, it made the "sport" setting the default 95% of the time (including motorway journeys), the soft setting was better around town.

Any set up will be reasonably sensitive to the spring rates for ride quality and most coilovers will be stiffer than the OE springs.

If you find the "sport" PASM setting too stiff I would 100% try the DSC module before you do anything else - it makes a huge difference on the standard set up. When I had standard dampers on mine, it made the "sport" setting the default 95% of the time (including motorway journeys), the soft setting was better around town.

Any set up will be reasonably sensitive to the spring rates for ride quality and most coilovers will be stiffer than the OE springs.

Agree on the magic of the DSC controller
i.e. correctly configured for the UK road oscillations that are nothing like German roads

I’ve looked at the DSC route but this doesn’t help my rusty shocks

Definitely, but I'd still try the DSC module before you decide. They hold their resale value well so if you liked the ride afterwards you could always get a set of new Bilstein B4 dampers (i.e. OEM) to replace the rusty bits. This would be cheaper than the Ohlins and a pretty sophisticated set up that is good at most things. If you didnt like the ride sell the DSC and buy the Ohlins.

I have Tractive dampers + DSC on mine (and like them), they are better for what I want and use the car for (mix of track days and good A/B roads). But are worse that the previous DSC + Bilstein B4 + stiffer roll bars set up (relatively stiff, bumpy, very careful over speed bumps etc) in just about every possible way for town driving and I'd avoid small country lanes if there is any alternative. The Bilstein B4+DSC combo was great for most road driving, but a bit too soft/long travel for use on track.

You didnt say what you wanted with the change in dampers (lowering / track use / every day use etc), but if you find the "stiff" PASM setting too firm, I'd recommend trying whatever solution you want (as cheaply as you can) before committing to buy and I'd be cautious about coilovers which are likely to be more performance orientated (stiff) than the OE set up

Thanks Yellow. Mine is a weekend car that spends most of the time on fast country roads. Track days will be coming in the future, as are a trip to Le Mans and a Spain road trip this year.

Happy to compromise a little on comfort if the handling is improved. Car has been set up by CoG for fast road so happy with the set up. I initially bought Eibach springs to lower and see how they improve the car but that was when I found the front shocks were past there best - 18 years old

They are excellent. I had massive reservations over buying/fitting them to my 996 C2.
But I needn’t have worried, they’re hugely impressive.

I decided their spring rates were a bit on the toppy side (like yours, my car is used solely on the road) so I elected to choose softer rates.

I’m fitting a set of custom sprung R&T’s to a 997.1 in a couple of weeks time (along with a complete suspension overhaul)
If you can wait, I’ll report my findings, and if the owner of the car is a happy for me to do so, I’ll put you in touch with him so you can find out his thoughts on them once installed.

Thanks Slippy, if you don’t mind me asking, where are you getting them from and are you getting the custom springs from the same place?

Thanks Slippy, if you don’t mind me asking, where are you getting them from and are you getting the custom springs from the same place?

The customer purchased the Ohlins kit himself, unfortunately, he bought it from Murray Motorsport in Southern Ireland (I think) unaware that some retailers are still prepared to supply the kits without springs. But he also then received a hefty tax/VAT/import duty bill off the revenue for his troubles ...
I hope it won't cause offence, but having put a lot of time, effort and not inconsiderable expense into establishing and developing the optimal spring rates, I'd rather not disclose the source for the springs, as I intend to offer custom softer rate spring kits for both the 996 and 997 Ohlins R&T damper kits over the coming months.

HI Matt I run R&T Ohlins on my 997 GTS as a road car I have softer spring rates, imo no need to swap the rear ARB as that just bring backs the bumps, as the shock is a 2 way you can make it handle how you want any way. I also fitted adjustable front LCA to set the car up nice for fast road use.
I have a build thread some where on here. think form memory i run -1.8 camber on the front and run the car lower than oem which also gave me a ton more front track. A lot of people fit top mounts and then you don;t get the extra front track I wanted hence fitting adjustable LCA's.

I very much doubt Slippy is having custom springs made for him, the cost would be daft to do this circa £3k I bet up front and then you have to sell high per unit to recover the costs to get any money back and where is the market for this on 12 year old cars !

I just went to Eibach and they have the right size springs on the shelf in many rates to fit Ohlins. I have 40NM front 90nm rear, oem rear ARB. The cars great and I am fussy. you get 60nm/120 in the kit if you buy with springs which I did if I sell them later they are good track rates which still work on the road.#

I bet slippy is just using on the shelf spring rates over "custom" made ones (I like a bet) I also bet it's Eibach on the self ones why make life hard !! . He will post and slag me off , but lets see what he says, I really hate secret info on cars and setups where every thing has already been done to death in the past on the 997 platform.
on the shelf the springs are quite cheap, I cannot find my invoice or geo atm i'll post back when i can. £360 seems to ring a bell for the springs might be less.

my cars not too low, imo just right to give lots of travel but not look like it's a rally car ! 2 seater, recaros. gt3 front end, Ohlins R&T balled raced shifter, rear engine mounts, rear back box exhaust delete, just waiting for a set of BBS wheels and I'll then also fit some nice disks.

I thought this forum was about sharing good info !gtsohlins2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leeadam
Back