Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To paint or not to paint?

smigga

Imola
It's fair to say that under the inch of touch-ins, masks and polishes my bonnet and bumper have suffered the amount of chips you'd expect from an extra high miler :oops: you would never know in passing or out of direct sunlight but I KNOW! As I'm sure any future owner would.
A friend of mine has just had some paint done on an 60 plate met blue focus and was really pleased with job and price, he got a quote for some work on his Rangy today from the same guy which was really good so I rang him about getting my bonnet/bumper done and he gave me a decent price.
I was going to leave it original as some run a mile from a paint job but at his price I'm tempted....Given its miles do you think people prefer to see the battle scar originality (under the polish!) or an obviously painted fresh face... :?:

Dave

I'd get it done if its affordable. It's impossible for a car your age/mileage to not have a few marks here and there and I'd doubt any prospective purchaser would not buy it because you've been proactive in keeping your car in tip top condition. It's also one less expense for the next owner to deal with.

Most main dealers will probably have the front bumpers resprayed as part of their pre showroom so I'd imagine your car would be in the majority.

I'd be worried about getting a good paint match to the wings, as they're quite a large surface area on top, and up next to the bonnet would probably show any tonal change in paintwork easily. :?:

Had mine done Dave as you know not long after buying her. I really couldn't live with the poor state of the bonnet, bumper and wings.
Was quoted £600 by a couple of places but then my mechanic friend gave me a number of a guy he uses and he did it me for £300.
The difference is fantastic and was well worth it and certainly something I will have done again in the future if the need arises.

Ducky said:
I'd be worried about getting a good paint match to the wings, as they're quite a large surface area on top, and up next to the bonnet would probably show any tonal change in paintwork easily. :?:
That's my concern, don't want to end up with a full respray! Ill go and see him and weigh things up, see what he thinks... :?:

Dave

Stokepotter said:
Had mine done Dave as you know not long after buying her. I really couldn't live with the poor state of the bonnet, bumper and wings.
Was quoted £600 by a couple of places but then my mechanic friend gave me a number of a guy he uses and he did it me for £300.
The difference is fantastic and was well worth it and certainly something I will have done again in the future if the need arises.

I know m8 mine makes me cringe under the garage lights :eek:
I've been quoted £240!!!Very cheap I know but he's a small outfit and comes recommended. Ill wait to see my friends jobs and go see him...

Dave

My OPC sprayed my front bumper before I bought it and I can't tell the difference. They said they 'blended it in' with the wings.

For that price and with the recommendation I wouldn't think twice.
Was going to get mine detailed over the Easter break but looking at the weather think might put that on hold for another few weeks!

I had some chips on the edge of the door treated on a sl55 i had, biggest mistake ever, they were only noticable to me as i was being ultra fussy!

However i had it done anyway, wasnt cheap and the quality of the work was amazing, however whenever i return to the car after paying for petrol i was gutted as it showed up a mile off, since then ive tryed not to get any paintwork done unless it was 100% needed :/

I'd go for it Dave, if the price is good and you expect the guy to do a good job then why not?

I don't think originality needs to stretch as far as the paint on the front of the car. It's still the same car, plenty of 911's on here that have had paint, I guess most of the 993's and 964's at some point. Doesn't hurt their resale value.

Stokepotter said:
For that price and with the recommendation I wouldn't think twice.
Was going to get mine detailed over the Easter break but looking at the weather think might put that on hold for another few weeks!

I know, I explained what I wanted and he paused, "Carrera you say..., metallic......( I waited for £5-600) you'd be talking £240 for that mate"
:eek:
As I say I'll check him out a bit but sounds like a no brainer...
I know this bloody weather!
I had a lovely day planned tomorrow, out all day with kids in my car while she works, then drop them off, pick a friend up to grab some food then watch my Pal in a pro Thai fight and then nice A road drive to my friends rural local for a women free guiness sesh and kip at his, up early Sun and hours A roads home :thumb:
Instead I've got 8 inch of snow outside and ill be in the Landy!

Dave

Mine has had a nose job prior to my ownership, I think most will have had paint at some stage in their life, I would not be put off by paint for cosmetic reasons.

Mrs uk kissed the rear door and quarter panel of the Lexus off our drive entrance last summer, I was gutted, car is in Brechin Slate, and I was convinced the paint would never match up again, I guess some would see it, but I cant, and that keeps me happy.

My Brother is a car painter to trade, he told me that a shocking amount of new/unregistered cars have paint work done before delivery to unsuspecting customers. :dont know:

Your right Scott, I had my rear quarter done and some bits when I got her as I left my littleuns bike next to it when I backed out of the garage! I cant tell it was a top job. I had no choice then but I suppose the front is no different it's just you expect a few chips on the front of an old car, I've decided to get it done at that price, if a car gets used I guess it's gona need paint just like other stuff :thumb:

Dave

If he can assure you that he can match the colour and not leave overspray etc then go for it.

If you need any more convincing Dave, here's a picture of my front end after having it done.
6 months later and still looking "as new."

Attachments

• respray_449.jpg
    respray_449.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3,295

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tone_Loc
Back