Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

TITANIUM Wheel Bolts from design911

I have titanium wheel bolts on my RS6, the previous owner fitted them and paid 3 times that amount, so they do seem good value.
No idea to what difference it makes other they weighing a few ounces less :lol: :lol:

Fitted these to my 996 GT3 a few weeks ago as the old studs were looking pretty grotty. Really pleased with the fit, finish and quality for the price. I did get some of the correct grease to apply as well, NOT copper slip. Lot of debate as to whether you should lub or dry fit. Can't remover the name of the lub used but was grey in colour, best applied with a syringe. Good YouTube vids on how best apply.

Here's the finished look.

Attachments

• cb100e53_0dfa_4e93_b974_1bb177960c5f_812.jpeg
    cb100e53_0dfa_4e93_b974_1bb177960c5f_812.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 3,268
£250 for some bolts :eek:

Good price for titanium! Shame the don't do longer bolt length! Only place I can find that do are in the US, Acer Racing.

The have standard length bolts for around £170, free world-wide shipping but probably import duty to be added.

https://www.acerracing.com/collections/porsche/porsche

They do look great value. I've only seen prices like that from US firms but then you have the shipping etc.

E.g -

https://www.acerracing.com/collections/titanium-lug-bolts/porsche

Must admit I still use a dab of copper slip on bolts and wheel faces. The big debate just seems to give internet warriors something to sound intelligent about.
My dads used it since serving his time at the age of 15. He's 75 now and never had an issue.

I went for a tyre on my daily workhorse the other week and the lad removed my bolts and wheel and says 'Copper-slip, tut tut", to which I asked what the problem was. 'You shouldn't do it" he said.
Me 'I've done it for 25 years and never had an issue".
Him 'It's illegal!".
Me 'Illegal?! :grin: '
Him 'Yep, look it up".
Me 'Nah I'll not bother. I'd rather the risks of copper slip than struggling to get a wheel off if I get a puncture".
Him 'It's not the threads that seize, it's the collar"
Me 'So how come on old cars and customers cars I've had bolts seized so badly the head shears off?".
He just walked off mumbling.

I've read all about torque values being altered etc. I just don't get involved. I've had no problem in 25 years. Does that mean I'm right? Maybe not, but at the same time, if it was that lethal surely I'd have exited the road as a fireball, through a hedge. :wink:

Anyway back on topic...

Edited. I took so long to write that (I'm at work) that Rob beat me to it. :thumb:

I use a little copper slip too. And never torqued a wheel bolt in my life. Amazing I've not died 10 times.

Is there any truth to using copper slip being illegal? Sounds like ballix.

It's a load of tosh.

I haven't even googled it but no way will it be illegal. Just a gobshite tyre fitter trying to be clever.

Alex there's a gap in the market for titanium wheel bolts for sub £200. Get making some. You'll sell a few on here if they look nice and fit correctly.
Having just spent my last two shifts milling Super Duplex, I'm not too interested in machining titanium for 'fun". :D

Can you still use the impact wrench or will it damage/make probles on the surface of the titanium?

Marky911 said:
Having just spent my last two shifts milling Super Duplex, I'm not too interested in machining titanium for 'fun". :D

Makes 2 of us. Sooner plat my own snot than machine Titanium.

Using a lubricant on a bolt thread absolutely does reduce the amount of torque required for the same axial tension of a dry thread - there's no question about that.

So if you are using a lubricant and torqueing your lug nuts to the correct figure you're actually increasing the tension on that bolt quite considerably.

Will the bolt fail? Highly unlikely and I've never heard of it.

I have the Ti wheel bolts from Design911. The quality of the set I had was very good and I've had no issues since fitting.

On the other point of debate, I fitted them dry as they're titanium so corrosion shouldn't be an issue anyway.

MF.

RTFM

Attachments

• screenshot_2021_05_08_at_133722_138.jpg
    screenshot_2021_05_08_at_133722_138.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 2,962

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeff dussault