Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic gearbox service

david993

Now we all know that Tiptronic gearboxes are like Marmite - you either like them or you don't. They don't seem to be widely understood and the received wisdom is that "it's a sealed unit and never needs attention".

However it has oil and a filter which should obviously be changed periodically.

My own 993 Tip has done 199K miles and I have had the gearbox oil changed. But an Honest John article (Saturday Daily Telegraph, motoring section) talked about how difficult it is to get the old oil out of an auto box. He mentioned Beds Auto Transmissions in Luton www.automaticgearbox.biz as providing a dialysis service where clean oill is flushed through and not cycled around.

Unfortunately they can't do that on a 993 - maybe there's not enough space. But I took it along and got them to service it. They removed the gearbox sump plate and replaced the oil filter and oil obviously. Apparently mine wasn't too bad but it did need doing. They sometimes see iron filings and even swarf in there.

On driving away it seemed quieter, and gear changes were easier/smoother (I always use the buttons). Might just be my imagination there.

The recommend changing gearbox oil and filter every 24K miles.

david993 said:
Now we all know that Tiptronic gearboxes are like Marmite - you either like them or you don't. They don't seem to be widely understood and the received wisdom is that "it's a sealed unit and never needs attention".

However it has oil and a filter which should obviously be changed periodically.

My own 993 Tip has done 199K miles and I have had the gearbox oil changed. But an Honest John article (Saturday Daily Telegraph, motoring section) talked about how difficult it is to get the old oil out of an auto box. He mentioned Beds Auto Transmissions in Luton www.automaticgearbox.biz as providing a dialysis service where clean oill is flushed through and not cycled around.

Unfortunately they can't do that on a 993 - maybe there's not enough space. But I took it along and got them to service it. They removed the gearbox sump plate and replaced the oil filter and oil obviously. Apparently mine wasn't too bad but it did need doing. They sometimes see iron filings and even swarf in there.

On driving away it seemed quieter, and gear changes were easier/smoother (I always use the buttons). Might just be my imagination there.

The recommend changing gearbox oil and filter every 24K miles.

Yep it's true getting all the oil out is difficult, Drew911 a poster on here changed his oil 4 times on the trot, running the car for a few hundred miles between each change which averages out at 80% new. Only after the 3rd change did he fit the new filter.

Porsche too recommend changing the oil and filter every 24K miles. I've attached the maintenance schedule for you just in case you don't have it.

ATB :)

Attachments

• porsche_service_schedule_warten951_129.pdf
    56.5 KB · Views: 247
Thanks Graham :)

Off topic but how many of those 199k miles have you done and has it required a rebuild at any point? impressive mileage :thumb:

Hi Zantaz,

I know! Just 500 miles to go before I get the camera out! *be still, my beating heart*

Then the big target is 500k km = 312k miles - if petrol cars are still allowed on the roads then.

It had 46K miles 10 years ago when I bought it. I've done mainly commuting motorway miles so an easy life but some red-lining off-road. No engine rebuilds but its due for one. It blew a head gasket once but that's the most trouble I've had.

Please don't ask about the scuttles, rear window pillars... :sad:

It's refreshing to hear a 993 owner who uses his car daily over 10yrs to reach nearly 200k miles. Great testament to the car and owner :thumb:

Is the 993 everything you've ever wanted or have you thought about changing it at all?

Hi

When I did mine the gearbox was out and I used a bicycle pump to force as much of the remaining fluid from the lines and cooler as possible. I also changed the differential oil at the same time.

Berni

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pacific7174
Back