Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thoughts on today's upgrades

Flying Clog

Trainee
So had my first set of changes / upgrades today. Was hoping for a little more than my failed Solisto cable yesterday !

My Cayman had a Porsche sports exhaust which I loved but found it very "boomy" when on the highway sitting at 100-120kph. I didn't want this on the 993 - as the cabin has more space it would be far too intrusive and tiring for an old fellow like me.
Since having the RSR upgrade the car makes a nice deeper burble on start up, but under normal acceleration sounds pretty stock. However under hard acceleration and with the Motorsport air box it sounds great. Nice hard, deep growl without making your ears bleed.

RS engine mounts.
Having read on here that the engine mounts are a good upgrade and resolves issues with rear feel I felt this was a worth while upgrade. And I was not disappointed. The feeling of movement from the rear and little knocks when accelerating have gone and feels generally more planted - however more on this in a minute !

HID headlamps
Superb - just superb. With winter around the corner I thought this was a worth while safety upgrade. Also included new side lights to match.

New key fob
Ok - not exactly an upgrade to the car per se - but putting the key in the ignition and having it fold back on my finger, and the sheer bulk of the original fob - this is also a great upgrade. And I get a little light in the key top now
:) I kept the older style alarm fob with the car just incase I ever think about selling it.

All in all a good day. However this is really the first long drive I have done and got to know the car. The wheel vibration was still present at speeds over 80kph and the suspension felt incredibly hard - feeling every bump, pothole and stone. I don't believe I have sports suspension / springs on the car, but it was almost unpleasant. After a test drive from the guy who did the RSR's he suggested that the shock absorbers were not just worn but completely "dead".

Having just bought the car 3 weeks ago from an OPC I've asked them to take a look at the steering, wheel balance and shocks. If they do need replacing there will have to be a discussion around who is paying the bill as I think it is a little unreasonable to sell a car with dead shocks - if indeed this is the issue.

I had exactly the same problem with an e36m3.

Rock hard shockers, vibration at speed.

I challenged the dealer about this and was told that the shockers still passed an mot (even though they were not pleasant to live with) and therefore they wouldn't touch them.

Not a lot I could do there, but that's the trade for you.

ragpicker said:
I had exactly the same problem with an e36m3.

Rock hard shockers, vibration at speed.

I challenged the dealer about this and was told that the shockers still passed an mot (even though they were not pleasant to live with) and therefore they wouldn't touch them.

Not a lot I could do there, but that's the trade for you.

Yeah I hear you. Am expecting a similar response but if you don't ask - you don't get. Even a small contribution would help lighten the nice bill of EUR1,400 plus !

I am no expert, but isn't there an engine carrier upgrade which goes hand in hand with RS engine mounts? :dont know:

The key fob sounds interesting. Any photos ?

You will love new suspension. Even on Bilstein B6 and lower springs mine is compliant and flows down the road, IMO.

Tim

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xx22
Back