Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

This whole GPS thing... we are doomed.

orangecurry

I've just done a run to Eastbourne and back - brilliant weather, too much traffic, but it was great fun in the 993.

For even more fun I used my son's computer Android thing to run a program called GPS Essentials which GPS tracks your every move.

Including maximum speed :eek:

When do you think the Governments of the world will make it law that every journey gets put into the Police Supercomputer?

I can see that soon even cornering g-forces will be part of the tracking....and all fun in a car will cease.

Well... nearly.

Enjoy your freedom whilst you can :bye:

(My extended jail-term would have been worth it simply to rub the nose of the 330D BMW driver who thinks that torque somehow equals power :hand: )

orangecurry said:
I can see that soon even cornering g-forces will be part of the tracking....and all fun in a car will cease.

I think we're already there, sort of.
Young drivers can agree to have equipment fitted, at the behest of certain Insurance companies, who will use data, such as how a car has been driven. The more aggressive the car is driven the more it will effect the premiums.
You can see that some may find it an attractive idea for all vehicles to be so equipped. :nooo:

Tom Tom Live, know where I have been where I am going, and how fast I have been. That's why it's in my Dads Polo and I'm using an unconnected old unit.

I would have to be naive, I'd have to have poo instead of brains, and THEN have those brains blown out and replaced with jelly...

...to think that if the police asked TomTom, my phone provider (or any GPS company) for the details of my journey, the GPS company would have a legal right to withhold all the data.
:lol:

The 'black box' we all said we would never agree to? That would be too expensive to implement?

It's in all our cars now. We bought it ourselves and put it in! From phones to tablets to satnavs, we have data being sent elsewhere recording where we are and at what time. We made it happen.
:grin: :grin:

Cattle are smarter than us, at least they don't walk into the slaughter house and pull the trigger.
:(

Before long orwell's 1984 will need to be moved to the documentary section in the librarys :nooo:

In an ironic twist of Orwellian fate my TomTom inadvertently directed me to room 102 by mistake...result :thumb:

(I'm not on Facebook)

Vicki used my blackberry once, just once, to sign into her facebook. The next day a mate phoned me and his picture came up on the screen when the phone rang.
:dont know:

Turns out it's his Facebook picture, and when Vic signed in, Facebook went into the contacts on my phone and added a picture to the people on Facebook.
:eek:

So it goes right into my phone and views my contact list. What else can it see? Call history? Pictures? Internet history? Cookies?

Facebook IS the big brother, it knows what everyone looks like, who they know, what they are doing, and it's updated constantly. It does not have to pry into peoples lives to get to this information, no!, the people hand it all over, they 'want' it, even feel they 'need' to submit their lives so they can read of others that have done the same, all in the hands of a faceless host that see's and knows everyone, yet is unknown to all.

Yep, it's proper here already.
:thumb:

Good job Google is so committed to your privacy. No worries there then.

To be totally honest, in this case, I am all for it. Anybody buying a car like THAT needs someone in a base station doing the driving for them.

Citroen-C1-Black-Box.jpg

I can almost picture this thing, tentatively poking several feet over the line on a busy roundabout, every now and then lifting the brake and rolling backwards before deciding not to go, then, slowly crawling out and circumnavigating the entire roundabout in the outside lane with no indicators on, only to brake almost to a halt, trying to decide if they should take that exit or not, not liking roundabouts, motorways, or driving in the dark, hands clutched to a worried face at all times, reaction times of a potato.

I've got an electronic scrambler fitted to my 993, so I'm safe for the moment.
Only slight problem is that I get lost now that my map's blown out of the car :?

There was a murderer who was caught by data in his satnav recently.

And you are tracked by your phone everywhere.

PeterS said:
There was a murderer who was caught by data in his satnav recently.

And you are tracked by your phone everywhere.

Surely just turning your phone / nav off every time you want to drive quick is all that's needed?

orangecurry said:
I've just done a run to Eastbourne and back - brilliant weather, too much traffic, but it was great fun in the 993

A267? :lol:

Unfortunately not - A27; I was in a hurry.

clarkycat said:
I can almost picture this thing, tentatively poking several feet over the line on a busy roundabout, every now and then lifting the brake and rolling backwards before deciding not to go, then, slowly crawling out and circumnavigating the entire roundabout in the outside lane with no indicators on, only to brake almost to a halt, trying to decide if they should take that exit or not, not liking roundabouts, motorways, or driving in the dark, hands clutched to a worried face at all times, reaction times of a potato.

Are you following me? :?:

Sustanon400 said:
Surely just turning your phone / nav off every time you want to do some light rape and murder is all that's needed?

EFA

Spoken like a true trucker!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PatrickRas
Back