Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The wheel deal - advice required...

Lig

Hi all,

I am hopefully going to close a deal on a 993 C2 in the next few days... however i really want some turbo wheels.... Can some one tell me if both of these will fit:

FRONT WHEELS: 18 X 8" OFFSET 52MM. PART# 993.362.136.01.
REAR WHEELS: 18 X 10" OFFSET 65MM. PART# 993.362.140.04.

AND

FRONT WHEELS: 18 X 7.5" OFFSET 50MM. PART# 993.362.134.06.
REAR WHEELS: 18 X 10" OFFSET 65MM. PART# 993.362.140.04.

Now the rears are the same but the fronts are different. Is the different offset due to the different widths and will both just fit no probs with no spacers.

Very many thanks in advance.
Lig.

I have had both sizes on my car, which is a NB C2, and they fit no problem with no spacers.

The 7.5J fronts come from the 996.1 or Boxster, and the 8J fronts (quite rare) could have come on 996.2 or a 993 originally.

ETA tyres should be 225/40 and 265/35 for both sets above, but you can get away with 285/30 on the rears.... though that's far too much 'grip' for a little sports car like a 993 :D

orangecurry said:
..but you can get away with 285/30 on the rears.... though that's far too much 'grip' for a little sports car like a 993 :D

Too much grip = less fun.

245's will give you as much grip as you'll ever need.

Thats great thanks for the info.

So as a newbie, what does NB stand for? Normal Body? And I notice that Kimbo states 245s on the rear, what is the correct tyre? And (sorry for all these newbie questions - but there will be more I am sure) Do you really need N rated tyres? Can you not just get standard premium tyres in this size? What does the N actually mean?? Is it just Porsche approved or summat?

Thanks,
Lig.

My mistake.

255's on the rear of a 17" wheel will give you all the grip you'll ever need in normal road use. You'll never get the rear end to break away in the dry unless you're being really silly.

NB = Narrow Body.

N-rated tyres are a marketing ploy, but actually not much more expensive than non n-rated in 17" sizes.

Michelin PS2's, Continental Sport Contacts, Uniroyal Rainsports - you won't go far wrong, IMO.

No idea about 18's - someone here will be along to advise, but if you do go that route on a NB car, be sure ALL your suspension components are A1 along with your GEO, else you'll get a nasty, bumpy, tramlining ride.

17" wheels are forgiving, 18"s can be a nightmare unless everything else is totally sorted.

Thats great thanks Kimbo, so just to confirm you dont actually need N rated tyres? I have done a search of tyre places as the car i am getting needs new rears and I cant find anything about the N rated..nesss,

Cheers,
Lig.

You DEFINITELY 100% do not 'need' N-rated tyres.

But, you do NEED good tyres.

Speak to Chris at Exel Wheels - he's our 911UK guru and supplies many of us on here with our wheels and tyres in 17" and 18" versions. Friendly helpful advice and great service.

No need to shop around or go anywhere else.

http://www.exelwheels.co.uk/

Kimbo said:
My mistake.

255's on the rear of a 17" wheel will give you all the grip you'll ever need in normal road use. You'll never get the rear end to break away in the dry unless you're being really silly.
Agreed, but it WILL break away quite easily in the wet (though I seem to remember having 245s on the 17" Cups?).

Mine is on 18s and M033 suspension and the ride is fine. It's no Jag, but it rides better than the gf's Audi TT.

I drove an Audi TT the other day, on 18" wheels.

Now I know I'm an old fuddy duddy, but you couldn't Pay me to own that car. It was so hard and twitchy, with loads of tyre noise.

Yes, agreed in the wet, 255's will break away. But then everything does.

I've got a spare set of Techquipment Coloured Centre Caps if you are interested. Drop me a PM and we can discuss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chimp
Back