Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The new breed of Porsche owners?

Les Richards

Nurburgring
Joined
9 Apr 2009
Messages
482
I wonder if I met the new breed of Porsche owners today?

Was chatting to someone in the street when there was this almighty exhaust roar and a 996 zipped past. A short time later said Porsche was parked in an entrance way with a young chap at the wheel - phone in hand, obviously.

I beckoned to him to open the window and teasingly said 'My one doesn't make that noise" to which he replied 'Have you got one, then?"

'A 993..." says I which clearly was beyond him. '...last of the air-cooled" I then quickly followed up as if it might make a wee bit more sense to him.

Still no reaction or obvious recognition.

'How long have you had it?" I then asked.

'Got it yesterday. One owner, 63,000 miles and all the options."

It certainly appeared to have all the bells and whistles and, to be fair, looked great.

Checking the front, I said 'It's a 996."

'Uh, no, a 911" he replied, at which point he revved the nuts off it to further demonstrate the loud exhaust. He was right, of course, in a way but clearly does not appear to have studied the subject in any great depth.

His age? Early to mid-20s I would estimate.

Struck me as someone who buys a Porsche because he can rather than because he's always wanted one. Next week, probably an Audi or BMW for much the same reason.

Funny old thing, car ownership.
 
Nothing wrong with that at all. Porsche has a great image for the general population and I would argue that plenty of their cars aren't for (driving) enthusiasts.

Cars like the 993 mean little to most people. They are just a slow old crappy Porsche.
 
I don't think it's just Porsche i think this happens across the board.
I sell a lot of wheels and its incredible how little some of the youngsters know about their cars.
Of course I'm generalising as many do know alot.
I think there will always be the people that want a car because to them it looks cool but they have no interest in its upkeep or history.
As long as its loud they are happy :lol:
They are usually forex traders :floor:
 
I wasn't saying or implying there was something wrong, it just struck me as amusing at the time. Wish I'd kept it to myself now.

As someone who always wanted a Porsche but for whatever reason did not buy one until much later in life I think it just illustrates how times have changed.

Most youngsters these days are fortunate that as soon as they pass their driving test Mummy or Daddy buys them a new or near new car. Again, nothing wrong just a sign of the times.

But, unlike the 'more mature driver' (old fart if you like), these young people have no experience of driving cars with only drum brakes or points that went out of adjustment regularly or even wind-up windows, for example, whereas most cars these days will easily top 100mph and are adorned with all the tech and creature comforts imaginable.

My first car, a Ford Prefect, certainly didn't but it did have all the 'attributes' and more I mention above.

As for the comment on the 993; each to their own, I guess.
 
Les Richards said:
I wasn't saying or implying there was something wrong, it just struck me as amusing at the time. Wish I'd kept it to myself now.

As someone who always wanted a Porsche but for whatever reason did not buy one until much later in life I think it just illustrates how times have changed.

Most youngsters these days are fortunate that as soon as they pass their driving test Mummy or Daddy buys them a new or near new car. Again, nothing wrong just a sign of the times.

But, unlike the 'more mature driver' (old fart if you like), these young people have no experience of driving cars with only drum brakes or points that went out of adjustment regularly or even wind-up windows, for example, whereas most cars these days will easily top 100mph and are adorned with all the tech and creature comforts imaginable.

My first car, a Ford Prefect, certainly didn't but it did have all the 'attributes' and more I mention above.

As for the comment on the 993; each to their own, I guess.

I'm middle ground age wise and i absolutely love the 993, definitely a car i would like to own in the future and have come close a couple of times.
I think i need to test drive to see what this aircooled fuss is all about :lol: :thumb:
 
SidewaysSi said:
Cars like the 993 mean little to most people. They are just a slow old crappy Porsche.

The Illuminati will be carving their Colini Sticks at that comment. And don't tell Jonttt :floor:
 
Just to wind you up a little more Les, you seemingly have to understand that OLD MEN exist as Porsche buyers to cover the cost of producing lesser Porsches, in order that Porsche can affor to manufacture the GT series of the 911 for those younger and more able to enjoy the performance of the higher end GT machines.... (-:

https://youtu.be/DOCTtKBIHKc

BTW although not in the above vid, it seems even Chris Harris is gaining ...err..more mature proportions these days.. ?

Also, I owned my first air cooled Porsche when in my late 20`s, it was a well rotted 60`s wreck that taught me rather a lot about Porsche at that time, unfortunately being a Baby Boomer I am now at an age where I have forgotten most of it :?
 
Les Richards said:
........... His age? Early to mid-20s I would estimate.

Struck me as someone who buys a Porsche because he can rather than because he's always wanted one. Next week, probably an Audi or BMW for much the same reason .......

It sounds like he's of an age similar to those that think that football was invented by Sky in 1992. :grin:

In fairness he probably just knew that a Porsche 911 has some kudos and bought the only variant he could afford in preference to an ordinary Audi or BMW at a similar price point.

I'm pleased that you came across someone of such a tender age that still appreciates cars with internal combustion engines and exhaust noise.
 
Out of the people I know with a 911, Cayman or Boxster, most are not enthusiasts in a technical knowledge sense and certainly could not be classified as petrolheads.

Maybe only 1 in 5 has even a superficial understanding of the fantastic machines that they are driving about in. :nooo:
Age doesn't seem to come into it.
 
Zingari said:
SidewaysSi said:
Cars like the 993 mean little to most people. They are just a slow old crappy Porsche.

The Illuminati will be carving their Colini Sticks at that comment. And don't tell Jonttt :floor:

:hand: ......agreed Joe public does not know a 993 from a 992 in terms of model numbers but what they do all seem to know is that they are both gorgeous and sound awesome :cloud9: ..........and I'm not even joking .......I get more positive and genuine interest in the 993 than any other car I have driven bar none :)

....as for the OP......I was lucky enough to have some nice cars in my mid twenties ......mainly Japanese with big and very loud exhausts ......some things don't change that much :grin:
 
DRZ911 said:
Out of the people I know with a 911, Cayman or Boxster, most are not enthusiasts in a technical knowledge sense and certainly could not be classified as petrolheads.

Maybe only 1 in 5 has even a superficial understanding of the fantastic machines that they are driving about in. :nooo:
Age doesn't seem to come into it.

IMO you're probably nearer to describing the 'new breed of Porsche owners' than Les Richards. I'm sure that many owners have bought into the badge more than anything else.

It does seem strange to those of us that are enthusiasts and petrolheads that anyone can drive something other than an 'ordinary car' but not know anything about the history of what they own but given how few (as a %) Porsche owners actually join sites/forums such as ours it's probably true.

I doubt that anybody would think twice about the owner of a 2021 Fiesta or Astra not realising that they are actually driving a Mark 7,8 or 9 version of their car. :dont know:
 
I'm not sure it's a new breed, there's always been the person to buy on image, whether it's a new or used purchase. After all, I'm sure most of the "loadsamoney" types in the 80s weren't too bothered about the technical side of their 911.
 
Seems that Les had an interesting discussion with what used to be called a Flash Harry, Loadsamoney, or an 80s city boy... some bloke who just wanted a flash and loud motor. I don't think it's too suggestive of the typical owner, I'd like to think that most 911 owners at least regard themselves as drivers.

Sadly, as strong as the enthusiast car community might be, and as much as we can see on YouTube, most people get the most expensive car they can, on the basis that they feel they have 'to keep up with the Joneses' (or they need to fit in at the company car park), they finance it, they swap regularly, and it is brand and badge that is everything.

Or alternatively they just want something reliable, with a long warranty and low opex, from the closest available dealer because they only want something to get them from A-B and they don't give a *****.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
124,574
Messages
1,446,444
Members
49,720
Latest member
acupunch
Back
Top