Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

tbrown and myself on the cover of GT Porsche mag

Not my regular read, but I'll defo' buy a copy seeing as it features some of 'the lads' :thumbs:

It's worth buying if tbrown washed his car for the occasion.

~ Maxie :grin:

Looking forward to my copy dropping through the postbox soon.... :thumb:

Maxie said:
It's worth buying if tbrown washed his car for the occasion.

~ Maxie :grin:

this is deff breaking news :grin: :grin: :grin:

:oops:

I can't lie.
It was like that when I picked it up a week earlier after buying it
and it had rained that morning.

tbrown said:

I can't lie.

Has it been washed since :?: It still looked pretty clean at the Goodwood track day.

As the front cover specifically says '996 Carrera' I assume that they'll be doing a separate issue on '996 Turbo' as iirc they were there on the day too.

tbrown said:

I can't lie.

Glad you fessed up as it does not look like that now :floor:

I wouldn't waste my money on it. A couple of mags (GTPorsche are regular offenders but not exclusively so) just regurgitate a load of clichés and worn out folklore from the Porsche middle ages. And are factually very often wrong. The magazine will basically say the following and I'll put money on it.

'Broke the mould" 'Saved Porsche" "hated by purists" "cheaper build quality" 'shared parts with boxster" "most unloved 911" "engine issues" "controversy about headlights" 'soap bar styling" and. oh, yes, "drives incredibly well" will get a mention. Plus, it'll finish up with the usual "bargain supercar" "prices have surely bottomed out" and 'is the 996 finally finding it's place in the sun" and 'it's time has come' sort of thing. A cut and paste job, easy money. That'll be five pound, thank you. Eh, no thanks.

I've seen it all, read it all, heard it all a thousand times. GT Porsche have never even done an official performance test of a 996 (ever!) so given that it is a er, sports car, designed for, eh, speed. the fact that they even bother to do an article on the car without being able to drive them properly and assess their performance capability is a joke. It's like reviewing a movie but you're not allowed hear the sound. A pointless exercise if ever there was one.

I think I'll just watch the Tiff Needell video review from launch. Far more interesting and entertaining.

Quite cutting Niall996....! The reason I don't buy it is because it's full of grammatical errors, their insistence on describing torque figures as lb/ft :floor: and as you have mentioned, consistent factual errors - this ain't no auto-engineer's car magazine.

~ Maxie

Niall996 said:
The magazine will basically say the following and I'll put money on it.

'Broke the mould" 'Saved Porsche" "hated by purists" "cheaper build quality" 'shared parts with boxster" "most unloved 911" "engine issues" "controversy about headlights" 'soap bar styling" and. oh, yes, "drives incredibly well" will get a mention. Plus, it'll finish up with the usual "bargain supercar" "prices have surely bottomed out" and 'is the 996 finally finding it's place in the sun" and 'it's time has come' sort of thing. A cut and paste job, easy money. That'll be five pound, thank you. Eh, no thanks.

I've seen it all, read it all, heard it all a thousand times.

You have Niall, and so have I, but there's a lot of car enthusiasts out there that won't have. A front page headline like this will attract new readers and potentially new 911 owners.

I read most car magazines every month but only ever buy one if it's got a feature, or preferably several features, that I'll want to refer to over a period of time.

The thing is with all these magazines, especially the ones dedicated to a specific marque, is that they'll never be able to fill each month with 'new' topics so they have to pad them out with old stuff.

I'm sure it's frustrating if you subscribe to just one magazine which is why I don't - Just the repeats of adverts and data/facts stopped me doing that - but I think it's a bit OTT to slag any of them off. I'd rather have a few magazines dedicated entirely to Porsches than have to shell out £4+ on a general car mag just to get one feature on a 911.

Maxie said:
their insistence on describing torque figures as lb/ft :floor:

I thought everyone knew it was 'words/minute' :wink:

T8 said:
Niall996 said:
The magazine will basically say the following and I'll put money on it.

I've seen it all, read it all, heard it all a thousand times.

You have Niall, and so have I, but there's a lot of car enthusiasts out there that won't have. A front page headline like this will attract new readers and potentially new 911 owners.

I read most car magazines every month but only ever buy one if it's got a feature, or preferably several features, that I'll want to refer to over a period of time.

The thing is with all these magazines, especially the ones dedicated to a specific marque, is that they'll never be able to fill each month with 'new' topics so they have to pad them out with old stuff.

I'm sure it's frustrating if you subscribe to just one magazine which is why I don't - Just the repeats of adverts and data/facts stopped me doing that - but I think it's a bit OTT to slag any of them off. I'd rather have a few magazines dedicated entirely to Porsches than have to shell out £4+ on a general car mag just to get one feature on a 911.

I do understand that a single Marque magazine is a bit limited when it comes to fresh content. My problem is that when the cycle comes around and a particular model pops up again, as they all do in a sort of rotation system, these magazines just repeat the same cut and paste off the shelf narrative. A narrative that is often not true. It might be true to a certain element within the Porsche community but not true in any sense to the wider world. It's all so staid, predictable and forumulaic. And to not be able to get hold of a 996 and take it to a track and performance test it is ridiculous. Any one of us would lend a car. It's just absurd to for someone like GTPorsche to be on their 8th or 9th or 29th 996 feature or whatever cycle they are on by now and to be incapable of having any sort of conversation about the cars performance which is why it was made in the first place. I mean c'mon, where else is something reviewed without experiencing it? If you're going to do a 996 article do something new. I'd like to see a 1998 996 take on a modern Golf GTi for example. Or a key competitor of it's day, how well have they stood the test of time. There is an infinity of ways to approach a 996 article. What's the fastest car in the UK right now for 10K Sterling? But they can't do that because, well, they don't actually really drive the cars. They'll just cut and paste. I stand to be corrected. I'm not too proud to admit if I'm wrong but lets see.

Anyway, I looked up the website and I think Raby is the writer of the article and he's gone a bit pro 996 lately. He must have a few to sell.

Niall996 said:
I do understand that a single Marque magazine is a bit limited when it comes to fresh content. My problem is that when the cycle comes around and a particular model pops up again, as they all do in a sort of rotation system, these magazines just repeat the same cut and paste off the shelf narrative. A narrative that is often not true. It might be true to a certain element within the Porsche community but not true in any sense to the wider world. It's all so staid, predictable and forumulaic.

In my experience these features tend to be basic 'buyers guides'. They do get recycled every 12/18 months but I've always noticed that they are updated. 5 years ago the only 'look out for' was RMS leaks. See how that's changed. :)

And to not be able to get hold of a 996 and take it to a track and performance test it is ridiculous. Any one of us would lend a car. It's just absurd to for someone like GTPorsche to be on their 8th or 9th or 29th 996 feature or whatever cycle they are on by now and to be incapable of having any sort of conversation about the cars performance which is why it was made in the first place.

Agreed, but I suspect that it's down to cost. Some owners would be prepared to lend their car out for such a test but somebody from the mag would have to cover Insurance, the venue etc. I doubt that this could be recouped from the amount of additional readers it would generate.

I mean c'mon, where else is something reviewed without experiencing it? If you're going to do a 996 article do something new. I'd like to see a 1998 996 take on a modern Golf GTi for example. Or a key competitor of it's day, how well have they stood the test of time. There is an infinity of ways to approach a 996 article. What's the fastest car in the UK right now for 10K Sterling? But they can't do that because, well, they don't actually really drive the cars.

Unless the car being tested is particularly rare it's unusual for 'used' cars to be tested in this way. The vast majority of 'road tests' and 'comparisons' are of new cars as that's what most people want to read about. The manufacturers provide the cars because they have a vested interest in doing so - they want to sell some.

As I said above - who would finance these tests - especially if you wanted to record speeds etc accurately?

I wonder if next year it could be a 911uk project to organise something like this. Across the forums we seem to have people with the expertise and kit and there might be enough people vain enough to club together to hire a suitable venue. Another of us could write up the feature and take photos and then sell it to the highest bidder to recoup some of the group costs.

:?:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markyp
Back