Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Survey : 996/997 Transmission mount bush puller kit.

Slippydiff

Imola
Hi all, having replaced my engine mounts a couple of weeks ago, and found the results of fitting new items to have been transformational :

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=144105&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

I'd like to replace the transmission mount bush too.

It looks almost impossible to remove the old bush and and fit the new bush in situ without the correct puller and installation tool :

Link to kit here : https://agatools.com/products/aga-por-996-997-tmt

Does anyone on here have one of these to rent out to fellow 996 owners ? Or know of anyone who has one ? If so, please let me know.

If no one has one, I'll consider buying one (they're not cheap) to rent out to fellow 911UK'ers. Anyone interested in replacing their mounting bush, do please post here to let me know if you'd be interested in renting the kit should I proceed with purchasing one.

Rental won't be expensive, but will require a security deposit equal to the cost of the kit, payable prior to me sending the kit out. The security deposit will of course be returned in full (less the rental charge and any costs incurred due to damage/parts missing, which I'd charge at cost)

mikeeb said:
Have you considered the poly bush insert instead? Save the hassle of removing the old bush

That's what I did. My reckoning was how long before your new bush is baggy again? Fit those inserts and I reckon it'd far outlast a new tight bush and be more rigid than a new bush too.

mikeeb said:
Have you considered the poly bush insert instead? Save the hassle of removing the old bush

Hi Mike, hope you're well ?

In probably the biggest Volte Face in history, I'm trying to keep everything I replace as factory standard as possible.

I was sorely tempted to go with the 964/993 RS engine mount conversion, but then a slapped myself in the face and said "Why ?" as I'm not going to be venturing on track, so I don't need the driveline mounting to be stiffer than originally specified.

Replacing the engine mounts a couple of weeks ago was transformational, and they'd been on the car 20 years/63k miles. I figured the new OE items would last at least 10 years and 50k miles.

The transmission mount bush on the car looks ok (but then so did the engine mounts) but a new bush isn't expensive and will hopefully last at least 50k miles and 10 years I'd imagine.

I experimented with uprated engine and gearbox mounts many moons ago (not on Porsches) and the results whilst superficially beneficial, introduced too many compromises from a NVH perspective.

Having read the various trials and tribulations of others on here with the poly inserts (including Alex's) I'd prefer to keep things OE. It's just further proof I'm getting older (and possibly a tiny bit wiser) ... :)

PM on its way to you imminently ...

Hi

All well here thank you. No PM yet?

I have the same concerns over originality too. But a good quality upgrade is fine in my book. And any changes I make I keep the original parts.

I can't decide what to do with my engine mounts, there's no visible sag and they've only done 40k. But they are 22 years old and I do have some engine vibrations in the car at idle. And the feeling that the engine is a little floaty.

I don't know how much they are but I bet you could easily make something up with a couple of bearings, some metal tube, some M12 threaded bar, nuts and washers for under £50.

Alex said:
I don't know how much they are but I bet you could easily make something up with a couple of bearings, some metal tube, some M12 threaded bar, nuts and washers for under £50.

£379 plus shipping, import duty blah blah blah ... :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:wtf:

mikeeb said:
Hi

I have the same concerns over originality too. But a good quality upgrade is fine in my book. And any changes I make I keep the original parts.

I can't decide what to do with my engine mounts, there's no visible sag and they've only done 40k. But they are 22 years old and I do have some engine vibrations in the car at idle. And the feeling that the engine is a little floaty.

Hi Mike, snowed under currently, so the PM will follow later this afternoon/evening.

My old mounts looked fine too, so when they came out and looked very serviceable and they didn't raise the exhausts up much, if at all. I genuinely thought I'd wasted a chunk of cash buying and fitting the new items.

But the difference was incredible, the car feels completely different, I spent six hours in it on Saturday and it feels so much more planted and stable, both around the twisties and in a straight line.

Alex said:

I'll send you a new bush and get you the internal dimensions of the carrier Alex, the rest will be down to you, your lathe and your milling machine ... :D

:thumb:

Doable but I'm mowed out at work at the moment so couldn't give you a time when I'd get it done.

I just want to chip in here.

Firstly. I hate polybushes on street cars, hate them.

However, I love the powerlex transmission insert!

I found the SSK with Alex's mods too short for me, getting it to snap into gear just wasn't happening, it felt spongy and never knew if it was in gear properly or not.
Then I fitted the Powerflex insert, even though my bush had no visible play, and my gear change was so much nicer.
So much so I popped the Alex modded SSK back in and now love it!

Seriously, for £30 and half an hour to slide it in, what's to lose trying it?

The only difference I have noticed is in the gear change itself, no negatives at all.

Exactly this ^^^^^^^

When I fit the inserts on my transmission it just tightened everything up to what felt to me like what the car should roll off the production line like.

Alex said:
Exactly this ^^^^^^^

When I fit the inserts on my transmission it just tightened everything up to what felt to me like what the car should roll off the production line like.

Hi Alex, do you know if the current Powerflex inserts now modified to your spec ? ie are the thick "flanges" reduced in dia and thickness (you chopped a fair chunk of the flange away and then machined it thinner too) and thickness ?

Edit to add : Yep, looks like they've redesigned them as described above, after you provided them with the necessary information :)

Slippydiff said:
mikeeb said:
Hi

Hi Mike, snowed under currently, so the PM will follow later this afternoon/evening.

My old mounts looked fine too, so when they came out and looked very serviceable and they didn't raise the exhausts up much, if at all. I genuinely thought I'd wasted a chunk of cash buying and fitting the new items.

But the difference was incredible, the car feels completely different, I spent six hours in it on Saturday and it feels so much more planted and stable, both around the twisties and in a straight line.

Please excuse the terrible offtopic, but I found Slippydiff's picture highly wallpaper-worthy, but I wanted it to look a bit more like mine - and so I did :D
Hope you don't mind!

Attachments

• img_8528_npd_y_119.jpg
    img_8528_npd_y_119.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 648
  • img_8528_npd_y_119.jpg
    img_8528_npd_y_119.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 648

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members