Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stuff i could live without

Fuchs

I was driving to work today and started to think about all the equipment manufacturers fit in cars which i dont ever need to use and then got thinking about how much lighter and therefore quicker cars could be without it.

My list of stuff i could do without is:

Electric door mirrors

Electric seats

Heated seats

Sunroof

Electric windows

Central locking (on a 2 door car - why)

Cruise control

I wonder what difference removing that lot would make to performance/handling.

Anyone got anything else to add to my list ?

Maybe i should buy a Club Sport / RS ??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41717

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 05 January 2006
I was driving to work today and started to think about all the equipment manufacturers fit in cars which i dont ever need to use and then got thinking about how much lighter and therefore quicker cars could be without it.
My list of stuff i could do without is:
Electric door mirrors
Electric seats
Heated seats
Sunroof
Electric windows
Central locking (on a 2 door car - why)
Cruise control
I wonder what difference removing that lot would make to performance/handling.
Anyone got anything else to add to my list ?
Maybe i should by a Clus Sport / RS ??

Buy a GT3 RS :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41719

Most of the items on the list are for convienience and yeah it wouldn't be the end of the world if you didn't have them.

I do however enjoy the security of automatic central locking on the Megane (used to be lots of car jacking - not sure they would want a Megane though)

And I love having a sun roof :)

But I'm With Daz, give it all up and get a 997 GT3 RS - give you a bit of time to save up. 8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41723

I agree I would give allmost all the extras bar the sunroof up.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41724

Long boring drive to work this morning Warren??

vanity mirrors

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41727

Looks like you will have to buy a 997 S Warren. All the kit and amazing performance. Just superb! And imagine what it would be liek without all that weight.

BTW, Rear seats could go and change glass for perspex, oh, passenger seat ~ Looks like an RS is the car for you....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41730

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Charlie heeley on 05 January 2006

Long boring drive to work this morning Warren??
Not too long, my commute around the lake and accross the bridge is about 20 -25 minutes, but yes it was a bit boring.

an addition to my list - light in glove box? why - so that the glove box pixies can see what they are doing?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41731

If you got rid of the pixies for a start then deal with the light that seems to attract them you may shave off a few grams.

If we are going down this route then might as well get rid of thick carpets, rear seats as per Mr Corbett, aircon (thats what the window is for, in this country anyway right now). Water!!!!!! Thats going to upset a few :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41733

I quite like the sunroof, lets lots of light in, but would be happy with a glass panel rather than roof.

I would also keep the leccy windows, mirrors and the central locking.

The rest is a waste of space and can go in the bin.

At the end of the day, they put more and more stuff in to convince us that things are moving forward. It just like the software industry, if they put more new features in they hope you can justify upgrading to the next model.

S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41734

How much more or less do you think the next generation 911 will potentially weigh then??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41736

Apparently, they miss the indicators off BMWs to save weight . . .

:runsforcover:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41737

its always the same a new model comes out, it has a bit more power only to counteract the increase in weight.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41738

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 05 January 2006

its always the same a new model comes out, it has a bit more power only to counteract the increase in weight.
You probably have a point Warren but the 997 is IMHO a bit more special than that. It's the first normally aspirated Porsche to put out more hp and torque than my 3.3 turbo and it is simply amazing how it does it. I accept that I haven't owned a lot of performance orientated cars and remain happy with my BMW320d :oops:

but, great quality, toys, warp speed and safety .... I'd be quite happy to keep the toys and buy a stripped out 924 / 944 / 968 for the track.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41741

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Richard Eff on 05 January 2006

Apparently, they miss the indicators off BMWs to save weight . . .

:runsforcover:
That's actually so more power can be diverted to the xenons to remove intruders from the BMW lane.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41742

• Sunroof (open the windows)
  • Cup holder (no drinking & driving allowed)
  • Rear seats (no sprogs)
  • Multi-disc CD changer (do you really drive long enough to listen to all them CD's)
  • Rear wash wipe (not necessary on a 911, look horrid, & rear screen never gets obscured)
  • Heated seats (just kinky)
  • Sat Nav (it'll only get you lost or take you the wrong way)
  • 4WD (too much added weight)
  • Tiptronic (it's a sports car, do you want fun?)
  • PSM (drive sensibly)
  • Cruise Control (ever drive anywhere you can use it?)
  • Ashtrays (don't smoke)
  • Glove box (no string driving gloves, compartment in the door works for the Oakleys)
From a Porsche anyhow, which is why the Pimpmobile has all of these! Even found out last night why I needed 4WD, as it's SatNav put me in a muddy field :?
. And I love the heated seats on a cold morning!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 41750

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny-g
Back