Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stuff falling off...and exhaust tip tips please

Leosayer

Montreal
A helpful driver pulled next to me at a junction the other day and told me my tray was hanging down and sure enough the engine undertray was sagging down, only a couple of inches off the ground. I've since taken it off. There's no damage that I can see, but a screw is missing. I guess I'll take it with me to the next service so they can refit it.

A couple of days later I was going for a drive on a country road and heard a knock from behind. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a dark object bouncing down the road behind me which turned out to be my nearside exhaust tip. I had been driving on the A1 only 10 minutes before so I'm very glad it didn't fall off there.

I spent about 15 minutes rummaging in the undergrowth trying to find the damn thing. God knows what passing drivers thought I was up to. Not surprisingly, no-one stopped to help.

I don't think the two detachments are related, but of course the two objects are (or were) in very close proximity to each other. I'll put it down to coincidence or maybe the absence of tray directed more fast flowing air to the exhaust tip...just speculation really. I'll give the other tip a few bangs to check it's secure.

Anyway, the tip salvageable but there are a few scuffs that you can see in the pic below. I'm not averse to investing in a new set. Does anyone have any recommendations for what would look good on a polar silver C2?
20130720_201738.jpg

Lucky you found t and not some steaming turd whilst routing in the undergrowth :thumb:

I've not much confidence in the olive clamps as they allow a lot of movement to position the tip before you clamp it up tight. Ensuring it is dead centre to hold both parts together is the tricky part.

Good job no-one got hurt....and you recovered it!

Seems like the bolt that holds the clamp corroded through, check the otehr side if you havent. Best to replace with stainless steel and nyloc nut next time.

New tips can be expensive or look too aftermarket IMO. These 'squovals' are a nice touch and visually identify a Varioram over earlier cars. I like them.

If you want these media-blasted and refreshed let me know and I'll sort for you, or take them to a metal polisher (dont even think about trying yourself they are stainless and you'll get nowhere. I think I may also have some spare clamps if you lost one, I'll have a rummage.

Chris W said:
Seems like the bolt that holds the clamp corroded through, check the otehr side if you havent. Best to replace with stainless steel and nyloc nut next time.

In view of the temperatures a rear-engined car's tailpipe can get to, an all-metal lock-nut would be a better bet than a nyloc nut if a repeat of the loss of the tailpipe is to be avoided.

Too true when I finally got mine off I ended up shearing the bolt off as it was corroded through. Replaced with stainless steel :thumb:

On the 993 I had to resort to an angle grinder :grin:

On both my cars I have twinned the nuts because if you over tighten them the clamps fracture :grin:

If you are interested I have a pair of blade polished tips, bought from Porscheshop by the previous owner, which are surplus to requirements. PM me if you want details.

Red993C4 said:
Chris W said:

In view of the temperatures a rear-engined car's tailpipe can get to, an all-metal lock-nut would be a better bet than a nyloc nut if a repeat of the loss of the tailpipe is to be avoided.

Yes an all metal lock nut would make more sense, although you will find if your fitting stainless nuts and bolts the heat cycles will cause them to bind so much that more often than not they will shear off if you try to undo them, so no locking system is needed to stop the nuts shaking loose

Hi

Funnily enough I straightened one of my exhaust tips today. I was on my back under the car with my knee in the actual tip end keeping it in the right place. It's not perfect, but I hope to have my rear chassis leg done soon so it has to come off again anyways. All my exhaust bolts are stainless. The only potential problem is that the bolts can anneal, but all mine have been fine so far. Getting the originals off was a full angle grinder dremel job.

Berni

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markt13
Back