Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stonechips - arragghhh

Ducky

Looked at my C4S this morning leaving for work, and the front of the rear arches (door handle height) are covered in (more) stone chips, I swear it seems to attract them or something! :nooo:

Anyone else find this? Bit of a bummer as on a black car they stick out a lot, might have to buy some touch up paint I think. :?:

They all suffer :nooo:

Having had my car re sprayed I was annoyed when I picked ONE up on the bonnet. I'm seriously thinking of having the protective film applied.

Picked my black 997 up a month ago. The front was resprayed by the OPC and so far I haven't picked up any stone chips there...

The rear arches have though :nooo:

I also have a couple small stone chips on my on my bumper. You're right, black is not very forgiving but I love it and would not change it for another colour.
Not sure I trust myself with touch up paint though...

I'm in a 996 and suffered a chipped windscreen last night on the A1 through a stone.

Was only doing 70 too pootling along going past a truck wallop...put the willies up me too. grrr.

You guys are right 911's do seem to attract more than their fair share of stone chips.

There was a discussion on the Honda Civic website a while ago about paint thickness or strength and stone chips. Red Hondas were chipping very badly, silver not so. Was interesting and there could be something in the theory but I think it remained unproven due to too many variables.

For those with black cars, get a black permanent market pen, and lightly dab the chip with the tip of the pen. This works well with those little chips that are too small to be touched up, but look awful, especially when the car has recently been polished/waxed. Bigger chips will need to be properly painted, but this makes it look far better.

Try sitting further back from any cars/trucks your behind as it helps reduce the stone chips on a 911....but eventually they all get chip damage(need paint), so you also need to accept that it goes with the car or put a clear wrap on the front.

I sit so far back I cause a tailback! :D

Just find it odd that I get so many chips on the leading edge of the rear arches, as it's not like the front wheels stick out. :dont know:

Actually I washed the car yesterday, and found zillions more chips all over it....! :nooo:

Ducky said:
I sit so far back I cause a tailback! :D

Just find it odd that I get so many chips on the leading edge of the rear arches, as it's not like the front wheels stick out. :dont know:

Actually I washed the car yesterday, and found zillions more chips all over it....! :nooo:

Me too :grin:

I think because the rear arches are quite wide, they must pick up chips from oncoming vehicles :dont know:

Hi Guys,

This is the best quick fix for chips, it works. I use it on my Cayenne (metallic black) and my 964 (solid gloss black) both colour matched. :thumb:

http://www.chipex.com/

No affiliation, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Cheers,
Paul

Given up with the chips problem!

It is the price we pay for driving it. Respray when it gets worser is what I would do...

I've heard good stories about the Chipex stuff :thumb: But as my car was pro-detailed not long ago, I'm keeping away from anything like that (apart from washing, and perhaps the odd stone chip touch up). :D

Not sure if it's psychological, but I do feel as though I get hit by stones more often (always makes me jump) than in other cars. Could there be a rational explanation in terms of the aerodynamics, or maybe the down-sloping bonnet?

I'm afraid my approach is to just accept it: I spend my available time doing the bit I like (driving it), and expect that from time to time I will need to GTMI and suck up the bill.

Martian said:
I do pick up quite a few at the rear or the (painted) sills though! :oops:

Yeah no surprise there, mine are peppered low down on the bumper behind the rear wheel, worst place for a rash attack! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markyt911c4s
Back