Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stiff gears changes

Stewpot67

Monza
Evening
I have experienced a recent issue with the gear changes on my 6 speed manual..
1st to 2nd stiff, however when in 2nd all lower gears are fine ie 4th and 6th. Vice versa all top gears when in 1st, 3rd and 5th..the stiffness occurs when going through neutral.
Could this be a cable issue?

2001 car 58k miles

Thanks

A few things can contribute to this, including cables.

The engine mounts could have dropped a bit - how old are they? How big is the tailpipe to body gap at the top? New mounts often sharpen up gear shifts.

I would start by buying the Porsche green plastic alignment tool for £15 and adjusting the cables. It just pops on to the shifter stick and holds it in a neutral position as you pop the cables at the top end, out of their clamps, let them settle where they want and press them in again.

If you have an aftermarket short shifter, the clip wont fit as standard, but can still give you a good idea of where the shifter needs to be when you adjust.

Maybe try a gearbox oil change too. Quite easy to do.

Thanks, new engine mounts 200 miles ago and yes short kit not OEM..just purchased a the alignment tool..will have a look at this the week not obvious underneath

Stewpot67 said:
Thanks, new engine mounts 200 miles ago and yes short kit not OEM..just purchased a the alignment tool..will have a look at this the week not obvious underneath

The short shift kits tend to have thicker shafts, so the alignment tool won't clip around it. You can either butcher it so it butts up against the shift stick, instead of clipping to it, or do what I did. Accept that the alignment clip is 10mm to the left (or right, can't remember) of where it should sit in order to clip to the square plastic frame, so position it 10mm to the left (or right) of where that would be.

Mark the cables connectors first or photograph them, so you can see how much difference, or put them back if needed.

A gearbox oil change the other weekend improved the shifting of mine. For the money it can't do any harm if it hasn't been done before.

Mark

Thanks, I have ordered new cables from Porsche incredible they were the cheapest by a long way and will change the oil..strangely it seems to have loosened up..

Stewpot67 said:

If you have an aftermarket short shift, the alignment tool won't fit. Just set up the standard shift, mark the cable positions accurately and then fit the short shift.

Rosselder83 said:
How much were the cables if you dont mind me asking?

£283.13

maldren said:
Stewpot67 said:

If you have an aftermarket short shift, the alignment tool won't fit. Just set up the standard shift, mark the cable positions accurately and then fit the short shift.

Thanks

Update...replaced the gear linkage cables and new oil back to silky smooth!!

This is due to be done on mine soon, hoping that it will improve the stiffness

nickyg63 said:
This is due to be done on mine soon, hoping that it will improve the stiffness

Pretty simple job...just fiddley!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back