Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stick on numberplate - yay or nay?

Ducky

Hockenheim
Looking to get some paintwork done on the car in the not to distant future (I like it to be perfect 8)) and my brother mentioned losing the front number plate mount in the process, and having a stick on plate instead.

Not 100% sure myself about having the plate stuck on the upper bumper (below the bonnet), but it may look quite good with the aero kit...

Any thoughts people?

:?:

In my experience on the 997 they just don't hold well with tape no matter how much you put on, and I resorted to screws again and never had a problem (these had been pre-drilled into the bumper by the OPC though)

I'm referring to an actual sticker plate not a plastic one, the original bumper mount would be removed and filled in. :wink:

MOT fail, so not a lot of point in bothering.

You'd be better off just not running a front plate, and say that it must've fallen off and you'll get a new one soon ;)

Ekona said:

You'd be better off just not running a front plate, and say that it must've fallen off and you'll get a new one soon ;)

as long as the font and sizing is correct it will pass its MOT no bother, I ran one for 6 months, flew through MOT with it on no issues.

the problem is the BS code, you cant get a stick on plate vinyl plate that has a BS code.

I got pulled by a local homosexual copper who fancies me and he did me for it, the only thing he could do me for was a BS number, £60 fine new plate for the front and im now running a stick on normal plate without the holder.

DucatiGary said:
I got pulled by a local homosexual copper who fancies me and he did me for it

Are you sure he was a real cop? :cop:

Around here, they just give you a ticket for that sort of thing (the incorrect number plate) :dont know:

DucatiGary said:
Ekona said:

as long as the font and sizing is correct it will pass its MOT no bother, I ran one for 6 months, flew through MOT with it on no issues.

the problem is the BS code, you cant get a stick on plate vinyl plate that has a BS code.

I got pulled by a local homosexual copper who fancies me and he did me for it, the only thing he could do me for was a BS number, £60 fine new plate for the front and im now running a stick on normal plate without the holder.
That's kinda the point though ;) If it needs a BS number to get through the MOT (which is does), then it's an MOT fail. Same thing with emissions though, if you know a friendly garage you'll be okay but you can still get done by Plod.

I thought that technically, for an MOT, the number plate had to be vertical, hence all the crappy mounts for Alfa's, Porsche' and all the other nice curvy fronted cars, etc,

As well as the bs number, so a stickyback plastic jobby, sounds like a fail on both counts,

Mmm...

There is no BS number on my plate,

Or the plate on the car before that,

Or the car before that,

Or in fact the car before that too!
:dont know:

I get my private plate made up by some online company (usually in Ireland), then whack it on. Have never heard mention of it being a problem MOT time, and that's on several different cars at several different MOT places over several years.
:dont know:

Is it a really common fail and have I been weirdly lucky?

Who fails it? OPC?
:lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outrigger
Back