Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering wheel squeak?

TFR

Trainee
I appreciate that there are quite a few steering wheel squeak threads, but I am hoping you guys can narrow it down.
I have a suspension refresh planned in the next month or so, including top mounts and dampers when they finally arrive, so not overly concerned if it turns out to be that.

It seems to be happening only when turning the wheel right of centre.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XnUzemv5Zh4PyU-UGizFDvgv5MzeRMqs/view?usp=drivesdk

FYI - I am not referring to the baby chattering the background, I've got the baby monitor in my pocket.

Any guidance appreciated as always.

Ahh yes .. ok .. now then ..

From the video i can't tell if the noise is literally in front of you or maybe from lower down .. lower down and there is a plastic cap on the top part of the rack .. you can just about see it with wheels on a full lock and from the drivers side

.. this can rub and cause a similar noise .. spray grease usually stops it .

From up top and it's probably the cowling rubbing against the wheel .. possibly the clock spring but either way it's a steering wheel removal and investigate .

deMort said:
Ahh yes .. ok .. now then ..

From the video i can't tell if the noise is literally in front of you or maybe from lower down .. lower down and there is a plastic cap on the top part of the rack .. you can just about see it with wheels on a full lock and from the drivers side

.. this can rub and cause a similar noise .. spray grease usually stops it .

From up top and it's probably the cowling rubbing against the wheel .. possibly the clock spring but either way it's a steering wheel removal and investigate .

Thanks for the quick reply!

When you say spray grease, what do you recommend? Is lithium ok or something lighter?

It sounds like it is coming from immediately behind the wheel, so it is potentially the latter. Is there a fix or simply try and find where it is rubbing and adjust?

Thanks again.

Ok if its in front of you then the wheel needs to come off .. you are looking for rubbing marks .. any place the cowling could touch the wheel ..

You would move the clock spring .. can you reproduce the noise ..

Any kind of automotive spray grease is fine but if the noise is in front of you then lubricating the bottom of the rack won't help .

it will work if the column cowling is rubbing though .

Nice one, thank you!

I'll take a look at the weekend and report back.

I had the wheel off today, definitely not the wheel rubbing on anything and pretty sure it's not the clock spring.

I did notice that it only occurs when the wheel is adjusted to the most outward position, so it must be putting enough pressure on something to make the squeak.

I ran out of time but I'll remove the cowling tomorrow and take a better look.

Cheers

It's possible its the steering column .. hard to say from here i'm afraid .. try greasing the lower cover over the rack as previously mentioned .

Be worth getting your head in there with someone moving the wheel to see if that's the source .

Attachments

• s_l640_690.jpg
    s_l640_690.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,187
I think it was something to do with the reach adjustment, as it only happened when the wheel was pulled right out. Last night I sprayed some grease around the sleeve just behind the reach adjustment mechanism and the mechanism itself, it still squeaked last night but seems to have gone today, so it must have worked it's way in.

Let's see if it returns!

Thanks for your help DeMort

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepee
Back