Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering wheel change

Carrera

Banned
Bought a black three spoke wheel with air bag and colour crest from e-bay for nearly half the price of a new one. I was a bit worried about changing it myself because of the airbag. Did it this morning in half an hour without any problem.

The interior now looks much more in keeping with the exterior, never realised how outdated the standard steering wheel looks until now.

If anyone's thinking of doing it, it's easy, just make sure you disconnect the battery first otherwise the airbag warning light will come on and stay on after you disconnected the airbag (I was told).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13481

No flame intended but I just can't see any difference between the 3 spoke and 4 spoke versions (other than the spoke layout, of course!)

What exactly do you prefer about the 3 spoke? Just curious...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13506

I suppose it's just personal preference really. The three spokes one is from a 996/Boxter, with slightly smaller diameter and thicker rim, coulour crest. It just feels "sportier".

My wife recently changed her car to a 5-series with the M-sport package, which has the M-sport steering wheel. It's after driving that car and then my 993 4 spokes that made me decided to change the steering wheel. The 993 still looks and feels like a modern sports car despite its age, the steering wheel just improves on that.

The difference is a bit like, say, between a 993 wheel and a 911E wheel, or something like that, except the 993 wheel looks out of place in a 911E of course!

Anyway, what were you doing at 4am!?!?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13507

so the 996 steering wheels will go straight onto a 993?

cool - i dont much like the 4 spoke either

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13516

Yup, it goes straight on without any problem at all.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13528

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 20 February 2004

Anyway, what were you doing at 4am!?!?
Just another sleepless night...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13533

They have a Tiptronic version. Basically the same but with the buttons. Some even go for the Tip wheels and use the buttons for radio vol and channel controls. There's a DIY page on Robin Sun's site (p-car.com) on how to do that.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13561

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back