Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Static noise tests; what's the point?

Ghost

Got to Bedford on Friday when it was still dark and was ambushed at the gate by the Palmersport boys who wanted to do a noise test. "just hold it at 4500rpm please". Way too early in the morning, so forgot to push the clutch in while doing this. "sorry chap, you've failed meter shows 101.5db, you'll have to do a drive by test". After the briefing, off to the helipad where an instructor takes the car round one of the small circuits and it passes with flying colours at 80db.

So, just what is the point of a static noise test 1.5m behind the car? Who sits around for any length of time with the car in neutral at 4500rpm. I can see the point of the drive by noise tests because the noise from cars on the move is going to be the biggest issue for the local nimby squad, but the static test seems a bit pointless.

Only 80db on the move though; think I need to do better there :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99390

101.5 bet you were happy !

well the obvious answer is that it will give an indication of track noise...... with the council crazy regulators, they got to be careful......

mine was at 95db at below 4000... must have misheard them asking for 4500 !

but then I was shortshifting at 7000-7500 for all of the day anyway as I know I would get chucked off if I was at full pelt....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99394

Was it 4500 they wanted? I'm sure they said just over 4000! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99402

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 11 December 2006

Was it 4500 they wanted? I'm sure they said just over 4000! :wink:
That's what they said and one of them stuck his head in to check I was at 4500.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99405

I failed the static test at bedford. They did not even bother getting me to do a specific drive by. They just said that if i fail a drive by once on track i will be given one warning and if i tripped it again, i was off. Which is the same as if you pass the static...so static testss...quite right Richard...whats the point?!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99406

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 11 December 2006

101.5 bet you were happy !
Isn't that quite a big fail?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99414

I think Bedford static is only 101 or 102db. I agree: of absolutely no importance as driveby is the only one that counts.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99426

Boys, you are all thinking like the Porsche drivers you are.

Go put your best Chav hat on. Now re-think the question.

If you have ever had the misfortune to be at a track when the Chavs (sorry if I am grouping the more serious Jap car modifiers in with the scum but the same applies) then more noise is created in the paddock than out on the track.

So for guys and girls who will keep their cars either off or at tick over whilst in the paddock and pit lane these tests make no sense. For a bunch of Chavs for whom a good part of the fun of the day is to show off your dump valve and the flames out of your exhaust these tests are required. Unfortunately because of the nambies track operators are forced to have one rule for all.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99431

Sounds like you have some experiences you need to tell us about Sean.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99438

4-4500 rpm any Manthey Exhaust is still quite quiet at that stage... now get that up to 7000-8000 when the 2nd stage opens up then on full chant is a whole different story.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99444

Last year I went with a friend and his somewhat custom Skyline to a track day at Bedford run by one of the Chav Mags. It was dreadful.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99446

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by SeanD on 11 December 2006

Last year I went with a friend and his somewhat custom Skyline to a track day at Bedford run by one of the Chav Mags. It was dreadful.
I've seen those days, never again so I'll stick to Porsche days or Supercar events, as there was too much showboating for the crowd as no matter what they did the computer controlled car would always sort itself out.......... and not forgetting that they were all out braking themselves and overtaking any which way by the 2nd half of the day...... interesting to watch but not if you were on track....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99447

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 11 December 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by SeanD on 11 December 2006

I've seen those days, never again so I'll stick to Porsche days or Supercar events, as there was too much showboating for the crowd as no matter what they did the computer controlled car would always sort itself out.......... and not forgetting that they were all out braking themselves and overtaking any which way by the 2nd half of the day...... interesting to watch but not if you were on track....
Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99461

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MainA
Back