Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Squeak/creak when steering

Shalmaneser

Montreal
Hi All,

Got an annoying creak from the steering when turning, it only happens after a few miles driving (ie. not when cold) and you can feel it pretty distinctly through the steering wheel which makes it extra irritating. Replaced one of the track rod ends which had a degraded boot (despite being TRW and under two years old...) and the slightly worn drop links but the sound remains.

I replaced the coffin arms at the same time as the track rod end about two years ago and these appear to still be in good condition (Meyle FYI). When the previous ones were buggered they were squeaking when the car went over bumps, not when steering so I reckon these are probably not the cause?

replaced the ARB bushes with new OE ones a year or so ago when I fitted M030 ARBS.

What do we think the culprit is? I'm tempted to say it must be the top mounts but the noise is incredibly hard to track down!

Could it be the clockspring inside the steering wheel itself thats making the creaking sound? Mine occasionally does it but its not a major annoyance.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V164
Back