Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

spotting replica turbo alloys

futie2

Hi all,

How do you spot a replica 996 turbo alloy wheel then?

I've noticed that if I feel around the back of the spokes of my turbo wheels (e.g. when cleaning) the spokes are constructed differently on some corners - i'm assuming that some are replicas, but which ones!! ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104708

pretty sure behind the spoke they should have a 996 XXX XXX style part number,and normally replicas weigh more

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104710

the inside of rear ones are Hollow, i.e. called hollow spokes

I've got pics somewhere so will try and find 'em !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104721

Hi,

All genuine Porsche rims will have
996 XXX XXX, 993 XXX XXX.

Hollow Turbo twists, mk1 or mk2 (approx 25% ligther) are easy to spot, they will always have a s/steel racing valve and if you run your hand around the back of the spokes they will feel solid.

Turbo look twists, mk1 or mk2 will look the same however they will have rubber valves and the rear of the spokes will have two flutes running from the center to the rim.

GT2's have 12" wide rims, for some reason Porsche fitted the early 2's with turbo look rims and not hollow rims.

Hope this helps.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104722

They look like a solid spoke wheel to me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108397

The rear side would be smooth if they were hollow spokes, i.e. they would not have the two grooves.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108721

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepee
Back