Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sports Plus mode, pdk not upshifting

md11fly

New member
Joined
19 Aug 2021
Messages
4
Newbie here. I bought my 991.1 C4S three months ago, and have rarely used Sports Plus mode - I realise it's best for track use - but on the few occasions I have 'experimented' the pdk gearbox is reluctant to change up unless or until it hits c.7,500rpm, meaning I'm still in second gear at illegal motorway speeds. Of course I can override it with the paddles, or switching to manual mode, but just wondered if this is normal behaviour for Sports Plus mode?
 
md11fly said:
Newbie here. I bought my 991.1 C4S three months ago, and have rarely used Sports Plus mode - I realise it's best for track use - but on the few occasions I have 'experimented' the pdk gearbox is reluctant to change up unless or until it hits c.7,500rpm, meaning I'm still in second gear at illegal motorway speeds. Of course I can override it with the paddles, or switching to manual mode, but just wondered if this is normal behaviour for Sports Plus mode?

:welcome:

That's expected Sports Plus / PDK behaviour and exactly what you want on track!

Personally, I keep it in Sports mode for fast road use :thumb:
 
md11fly said:
Newbie here. I bought my 991.1 C4S three months ago, and have rarely used Sports Plus mode - I realise it's best for track use - but on the few occasions I have 'experimented' the pdk gearbox is reluctant to change up unless or until it hits c.7,500rpm, meaning I'm still in second gear at illegal motorway speeds. Of course I can override it with the paddles, or switching to manual mode, but just wondered if this is normal behaviour for Sports Plus mode?

As @TonyC911 said, the car is not second guessing you anymore in that mode it's essentially saying. "you told me you know what you're doing so have at it" :)

Totally pointless in almost any normal road situation in my opinion!

Cheers
Spart
 
Thanks Tony, Spart. That's reassuring to know, I was worried that something was wrong, especially since my ex 997.2 seemed to upshift much earlier in Sport Plus mode. I think I'll stop pressing that button from now on!
 
Mine changes at the redline in Sports Plus, but I tend to flap my own paddles.
 
MaxA said:
Mine changes at the redline in Sports Plus, but I tend to flap my own paddles.

Can't beat some serious paddle flap'in! :floor: :floor:
 
On the 991.2 you have the 'nitro button' which gives you 15 seconds with a graphical countdown in the MF display and it's off to the races (or effortless overtakes). I know it's not really a Nitro button, but it certainly feels like it :)

It's my new addiction :drive: Instantly on and :cop: instantly off....

It redlines in that mode.

Cheers
Spart
 
I use the paddles in SPORT+ as the PDK only shifts at red line
 
sparticle said:
On the 991.2 you have the 'nitro button' which gives you 15 seconds with a graphical countdown in the MF display and it's off to the races (or effortless overtakes). I know it's not really a Nitro button, but it certainly feels like it :)

It's my new addiction :drive: Instantly on and :cop: instantly off....

It redlines in that mode.

Cheers
Spart

Mine's a manual, so doesn't have the nitrous / nitro button. Does that mean it's on nitrous mode all the time (when in sport plus)?
 
I know you've got the answer now,
but I was in the same mind when I first got mine, it seems to be insane before it changes up on its own, however when driving fast I tend to use the manual mode & short paddle shift in sports plus mode, then you get the best of it they're very quick & great fun when you get the hang of it.
 
I find Sports + with PDK works really well on certain roads with the right combination of tight bends and quiet straights where you can let it red line. I often wonder about what sports plus in auto is like in a GT3 PDK, you'd have to carry some bonkers speed on back-roads to get 3rd gear off a 9000 red line in second :grin:

I find sport + works well also with the PSE and sports chassis (PASM) turned off. It's just a bit less drama and lets you focus on the drive.

What I don't like about Sport + is the aggressive gear change, it has a novelty factor that doesn't last for me. I'm sure I read Henry Catchpole somewhere saying the shift speed is automatically dialed down when the accelerometers detect the car is in a corner. On a straight in the wet you can feel the hard shift unsettle the car very slightly. I'd like to be able to adjust that like you could in an M3.

One thing on PDK that I only discovered recently is how to get and instant shift from say 5th to 2nd in sport mode. Rather than paddle down 3 times or use the kick down (which I hate using), you can tap the throttle and it will instantly give you 2nd from 5th which you can then hold in the full power band before e.g. making an overtake. I can't find any official literature that says that is a feature but it works for me :dont know:
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,576
Messages
1,446,477
Members
49,724
Latest member
markevo6
Back
Top