Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

sports exhaust

mpowerrob

Monza
Looking for sports exhaust for a 996 turbo.

Do you mean you're looking for suggestions on which sports exhaust to get? If so, please do a search as there are loads and loads of previous discussions on this. Be aware that everyone has different tastes and what sounds perfect to one person might sound awful to another.

both im looking to buy and want opinion, basically i just want my car to sound better as i love my 996tt but am sooo unimpressed and disappointed with the sound it makes, to me sound is part of the driving experience and i swear my daily runaround makes more noise :grin:

I use my 996tt at weekends and want it to be an experience when i use it im not worried how loud it is maybe louder the better just so long it sounds good and not chavvy,

I'm not worried about power gains as the car is more than fast enough and don't want to mess anything up cats/eml etc.

Another thing why does a straight pipe exhaust like they sell on design 911 cost a similar amount to a system with lots of pipework?

Like I say, there are loads of threads already on here about the different exhausts.

In order not to flag any errors, it's advisable to stick to either the standard 300cpsi or sports 200cpsi cats. 100cpsi or straight pipes will either require lambda spacers or a remap to correct for it.

mpowerrob said:
both im looking to buy and want opinion, basically i just want my car to sound better as i love my 996tt but am sooo unimpressed and disappointed with the sound it makes, to me sound is part of the driving experience and i swear my daily runaround makes more noise :grin:

I use my 996tt at weekends and want it to be an experience when i use it im not worried how loud it is maybe louder the better just so long it sounds good and not chavvy,

Ah but what's chavvy to me might be plain ordinary to you! :hand:

My wife comments (not complains mind, simply comments) that she could hear me coming home in the MGF with the TT stainless steel exhaust. To help you put this into perspective, this is the exhaust in question and it routinely provokes looking for bridges and tunnels to drive through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDsm6Cm3jrA

Watching that makes me want to jump right in my F, find a nice big concrete bridge to get under and just drop a gear and dump some revs. :grin: :grin: :grin: Is that the effect you're looking for?

mpowerrob said:
Another thing why does a straight pipe exhaust like they sell on design 911 cost a similar amount to a system with lots of pipework?

Supply and Demand at work. They know they can supply pleasure and in return they demand your money. :floor: :floor:

Me? Oh at this stage I'm content with the "Grand Tourer" old man pootling about but listen to that flat six effect! :worship: :sleepy: :thumbs:

I love my Europipe stage 2 quiet. It is louder than stock when giving it the beans, but not much so normally, and no drone. That is with 100 cell cat's. Exhausts are tricky on the turbo, I've never heard one which is as good as a decent NA setup.

MC

MisterCorn said:
Exhausts are tricky on the turbo, I've never heard one which is as good as a decent NA setup.

MC

And that's the rub, isn't it. We'd all like them to sound like a N/A car. I'd love mine to sound like my old 964 with a cup pipe but it isn't going to happen. You can make it sound subjectively better but chasing an N/A sound with the turbo is in my view fruitless. My personal view is that for a turbo car the 996 sounds ok. Quite how they have managed to make the 991 turbo sound like it does I don't know.

I left this thread for a while, as in the intended sense of a sports exhaust mentioned (nice noises), it just ain't going to happen.

The problem is any decent turbo will take the best of it and muffle the rest - and the 996 twin turbos are great turbos.

Now you can make a sports exhaust to up the power and ease the flow no probs, but any noise modification tends to just amplify the boring Hoover noise to a new louder level of drone.

Any description of it won't include sonorous, characterful or even harmonious.

It's kind of white noise annoying, although I can't say it isn't loud, because they really can fulfil that one.

But I bet you you'll still be left envying the "colour" of an N/A.

Ok how about if i went with 200 cell cats (so as not to effect eml) and straight pipes has any done that on here would it still pass mot emissions test and and would i need a remap. :?:

The emissions would be fine (the straight pipes make no odds in that respect)

They may be a tad loud though when both are fitted, and perhaps not a nice loud either.

You don't NEED a remap, but the car would benefit from one if you really wanted to fill the new envelope you have now created, but beware of the emissions impact of both the 200 Cells and remap.

As they are both working to increase your effective tailpipe emissions (one increasing fuelling and the other decreasing catalyst capability)

mpowerrob said:
Ok how about if i went with 200 cell cats (so as not to effect eml) and straight pipes has any done that on here would it still pass mot emissions test and and would i need a remap. :?:

In theory you could do that but in reality it would be pretty pointless!
The main reason SOME go with straight pipes is purely to reduce any exhaust restrictions on very high power builds.
Even then most that have tried it & use their cars on the streets tend to revert back to "some sort of system" as they all seem to say that it's way to loud and sounds like a tractor. (Not good)

If your looking for an aggressive system & don't mind a bit of drone then in MY eyes you have 3 choices: an EbWerks system, a Speedtech system or the 911Tuning system.
I'm sure there are also others but with the months & months of research I did these were the only 3 that sounded like what I was looking for. Raw, dramatic, & loud with lots of pops, crackles & bangs. (the flame spits are just a bonus)

These 3 are all X Pipe designs & are made in the US.

One thing to note is that as soon as you add cats to these systems it massively reduces the drama that they produce!

Also as said before, it's a very personal choice.
Try to hear some different setups in person as most videos do not tell half the story!

Happy hunting as this seems to be the hardest choice to make when modding these cars.
It's also one of the most talked about too! So remember Google is you friend;)

Here is a link to my research & the review of the system I bought.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=73381&highlight=

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=75869&highlight=

exhaust

All i can say is wow that sounds f##@@#g amazing and is what im looking for id love to hear it in the flesh, like yourself i only use my car at weekends or every other weekend at the moe, so drone inst a big deal, couple of questions can i fit this to my standard 996 turbo and will my car still pass mot and not cause any eml problems :?: i dont want to remap my car as its not power gains im looking for.

And one more thing there sold out on ebweks :sad:

ps how much was it if you dont mind me asking

Wait till you hear it in the flesh ;)

Yes the system would bolt straight onto your stock car.
I know they can supply the system with cats & cat delete pipes so you could have the best of both worlds & just swap the pipes over once a year for the mot.

I have o2 bung extenders which stops any warning lights & no you would not need to remap the car. But maybe not the best idea to come out in mine as I'm sure it will make you re think the power side of things.

If your ever up in Essex then I would be happy to take you for a spin.

Enrique @ EbWerks will make one for you once the order is placed with him. I think it takes around 5 weeks.

I'm not sure what the current price is. I had the 1st system that came to the UK so he did me a great deal. I would have thought you will get some change from 2k! Which is a decent price compared to some of the other systems out there.

Remember no to discount the 911tuning system as i now feel it would produce a very similar sound to mine but due to having 4 resonators (mine has 2) I think the drone would be even less.

Tough choice to be honest :?:

Speedtechexhaust.com fantastic exhaust systems for 996 TT. Quality is top notch, flow and sound are excellent. My recommendation : a 2.5" Sport ( with the 3"tips).
I had many Milltek and Supersprint in the past on different cars and the Speedtech quality is as good and better I would say. Got one on mine and it is awesome !!

de cat

Ok after reading your replies im thinking of going with a decat system, would this mean id have to put my original exhaust back on come MOT time and would a decat system cause any problems with my car,one of the mechanics where i work told me it may overspin my turbos due to having no cats :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back