Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spoiler alert - 996 aerokit front lip spoiler project

Today's update is one of paint and prep. Whilst this will not be put into service, it will be the master that the mold is taken from so has to be finished to the standard required of the finished item.

Just standard body work procedure - sanding, fine filler, high build primers, sanding, imperfection fills, more primer, wet sanding then paint.

I used a series of various pieces of tubing to wrap the abrasives around that were flexible enough to follow the internal curves, yet rigid enough in profile to leave a uniform internal radius between the vertical and mounting planes.

1718462337000.png

1718462485792.png

High build...

1718462518064.png

1718462538746.png

I always thought the fully squared off end of the Porsche item looked a little unfinished, so decided to put a radius on the inner corners to finish it off nicely and make it my own.

1718462652697.png

Nice crisp front edge....

1718462721727.png

And in paint. I paid a lot more attention to the ends and where the vertical face blends into the mounting plane to ensure a smooth and cohesive join.

1718481765151.png

1718462823320.png

There's a couple of imperfections that I'll need to finesse before casting the mold but it's 95% there now.

1718462940952.png

Attachments

• 1718462800078.png
    1718462800078.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 1718462856812.png
    1718462856812.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
With the paint dry enough to offer up to the car, I took a deep breath and hoped that the last week's effort was worth it....

1718476214944.png

And with the 'gap jig'.... all looks good.

1718476265360.png

1718476283288.png

I might* have even polished the underside of the bumper whilst it was off the car.

1718476346306.png

*Absolutely definitely did.

Last edited:
I'm in complete awe of your skills and the outcome. I love that 996 owners are out there doing this kind of thing 👍
That's kind of you, thank you. I don't have any specific skill set, I just enjoy a challenge and see these endoeavours as more of a journey than a destination.

Last edited:
Mighty impressive indeed...!!!
When can I expect delivery?
:D

Plenty of water needs to flow under the bridge before I'd dare ask anyone for money.

Next steps are to plan and design the mold.

I can either do a split mold which has the advantages of full 360 degree control of all surfaces, or an open pour mold which leaves one face to settle atmospherically.

The disadvantage of a split mold is that it will leave a flashing line between the two mold halves which due to it having to be molded in a horizontal plane, would result in a flashing line on the front visible face - highly undesirable, no matter how small or subtle. To remove would require some sort of sanding and scraping, which effectively means the front face would need 'finishing'. This is not what I'm looking for. I want an item I can pull from the mold and fit.

Closed, two part mold example...

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 07.31.14.png

If I go for the open face mold, I'd cast it so the mounting flange face that contacts the bumper was the 'open face', casting it in the orientation it sits on the car, albeit with the mounting face perfectly level so the resin settles 'flat'. I can then just pull it from the mold when cured, ready for service.

Open face mold example...

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 07.41.43.png

Or at least that's the plan at this stage. The drawback with open faced molds are that I have to rely on the resin flowing out and settling flat and even like the surface of a pond, as that will ultimately be the surface that mounts to the car, which whilst not cosmetically critical, still needs to be dimensionally accurate. The tricky element is that the further you go toward achieving the ideal material characteristics of strength, wear resistance, hardness yet flexibility, ability to mix a pigment to make it black and UV stabilizers, the faster the pot life tends to be.

The open face mold would be perfect if the pot life was say 30 mins plus, however the required physical properties above result in a resin that has a pot life of <5mins from when you start to mix it, so you need to mix, pour and walk away very very quickly and hope it all flows out and settles as required, leaving no time to float or refine the open surface as it cures as you might with concrete for example.

This might take several attempts to get right, however I will of course share the journey if people are interested in that part?

Last edited:
I'm sure many of us are following unique threads that showcase a members ingenuity and skill. Options to water dip would be worth looking into too, on the finishing side of things.
Good luck and keep up the excellent development..!!

I'm sure many of us are following unique threads that showcase a members ingenuity and skill. Options to water dip would be worth looking into too, on the finishing side of things.
Good luck and keep up the excellent development..!!
Lots of finishing options indeed, however my aim with this is to provide an alternative to £550+ worth of nonsensery, at a sensible, realistic price, but matching or improving on the OEM quality. A finish would still require a perfect surface which, with any kind of flashing, would result in 'bodywork' or other manual labour to prepare.

Lets see how it pans out. :)

You should assure your wife that once this project is done that you are going to spoil her......... and then present her with the polyurethane production version...... I am sure she will see the funny side!

You should assure your wife that once this project is done that you are going to spoil her......... and then present her with the polyurethane production version...... I am sure she will see the funny side!
I am in full support of this strategy, aiding my policy of "Happy wife, happy life" (and broke husband).

Just by way of update, when I applied a gloss coat to the spoiler as a final prep check, it uncovered a fair few surface flaws that I know I can improve on, so I've effectively stripped it back again and I'm in the middle of re-finishing it, but with further attention to the tiniest details. It's long, slow and boring so no pics, but I know that at least this way I won't be full or regrets if the production version comes out the mold with visible flaws. I'm trying to prevent the "If only I'd...." scenario.

Last edited:
Today I finally got the master prototype in a condition I'm happy with, ready to begin taking a mold from it.

There's not been may pics lately because, quite frankly it's excessively dull and has seen me in the last week take it back to bare plastic twice before building up the surface to the required standard.

Not very exciting, but here is the final finished item.

1719150032259.png

1719150052761.png

1719150068196.png

1719150084543.png

That's the limits of my capabilities and as good as I can do, so happy to move on to the next stage, stay tuned.

Today I finally got the master prototype in a condition I'm happy with, ready to begin taking a mold from it.

There's not been may pics lately because, quite frankly it's excessively dull and has seen me in the last week take it back to bare plastic twice before building up the surface to the required standard.

Not very exciting, but here is the final finished item.

View attachment 103162

View attachment 103163

View attachment 103164

View attachment 103165

That's the limits of my capabilities and as good as I can do, so happy to move on to the next stage, stay tuned.
I have to say I saw the prototype in person yesterday and was very impressed!

Really impressed by the attention to detail here which a credit to you.

You will certainly have us queuing for these as soon as the product is launched…. Sign me up!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coops395
Back