Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speed Cameras kill -

LOJO

Sao Paulo
An unpublished report by the Transport Research Laboratory reveals that speed cameras not only fail to cut accidents, they actually increase them.
The report was commissioned by the Highways Agency in 2004 but has only just been uncovered by Safe Speed using the freedom of information act.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SafeSpeedPR/message/80

It is outrageous that the report was commissioned and then hidden because it was not politically advantageous - ie. removed the 'safety' excuse for revenue gathering.

I wish someone would get fired for this -

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54279

I've nothing against speed cameras as long as they are sited appropriately, i.e. where there is a history of accidents, and so long as the revenue is then used to improve the road at that spot. Judging by some of the horrendously pot-holed roads I came across at the weekend (mostly in the Cotswolds), I wonder where the money is really going.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54282

Almost everyone would agree with you Pete - the problem is that we all know that speed cameras are set up where it is safe to speed - so they catch the maximum number of motorists. The outrageous thing for me here is that the Highways Agency is responsible for running the highways to the best of their ability, not backing Tony Blair's team politically. So they commissioned a report that we paid for and when it gave a response that did not suit them, they hid it.

Even if one person has died as a result that is bad, but see some of the finding below :

* Where fixed speed cameras were installed at road works the risk of personalinjury crashes was increased by 55%.* Where fixed speed cameras were installed on open motorways the risk ofinjury crashes was increased by 31%.* Average speed cameras also increased the risk of crashes by 4.5% atroadworks and 6.7% elsewhere.* Conventional Police patrols reduced the risk of crashes by 27% at road worksand 10% elsewhere.

Surely that means hundreds of injuries and deaths - caused purely in the interests of generating revenue?

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54285

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Pete Melsom on 18 April 2006

Judging by some of the horrendously pot-holed roads I came across at the weekend (mostly in the Cotswolds), I wonder where the money is really going.
Arrhhhh, those good old roads in the cotswolds. That's my daily bone shaking route to work!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54289

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by LOJO on 18 April 2006

Surely that means hundreds of injuries and deaths - caused purely in the interests of generating revenue?

LJ
Sounds like grounds for a civil case if you were injured in one of these crashes! In such a PC world - not sure how the government get away with this. If they were the director of a company they would be charged with manslaughter in the case of a death!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54290

postamble();
i live in plymouth and the amount of cameras is un real, they are everywhere, even on stretches of roads that are clearly not a problem or accident black spot!

some do not work, and the actual cameras inside the big yellow boxes are moved around on a regular basis to catch people out!!

i havnt had the misfortune of being caught speeding yet, but im sure it will happen soon!

i agree with some cameras, i.e outside schools etc, but on a free running busy A road, whats the point?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54292

Installing machines in the name of safety while earning revenue and doing nothing to improve safety would be a cause for questions in parliament in a reasonable system.

Isn't it amazing that such things don't get the airtime they deserve?

Incidentally, installing cameras where there is a history of accidents or even outside a school will not improve safety for all the reasons speed control doesn't work anywhere else. Quality of driving and proper attention is far more condicive to not crashing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54411

Speed cameras just don't catch the fukwits who drive dangerously like the fat idiot in a BMW undertaking and weaving as I was pulling over to let him past, having just overtaken another car.

Supposedly there are around 3000 odd road deaths a year, of which half occur at night and a quarter a related to this that or the other. There can't actually be that many accidents due to speed along, how the hell can it be worth putting up cameras apart from when generating revenue?? Surely the real culprit is bad driving and inappropriate use of speed!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54420

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
user983234
Back