Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speed camera detector

Slayer

Hi all,

Could anybody recommend a very good compact speedcamera detector please?

I have used the old version of POGO in the past.

Thanks in advance.

I use a Talex but have to pay £3 per month for updates. Not sure what's best but the Novus products have free updates.

~ Maxie

Laser detectors are pointless, by the time the detector sees them you've already been caught. Any POI-based unit works fine for the static stuff or the usual camera sites, but you'd be much better off just using common sense and your eyes for the most part.

I've got camera sites loaded onto my iOS TT, didn't pay any extra for them either which was quite handy.

Ekona said:
Laser detectors are pointless, by the time the detector sees them you've already been caught.....

Not always pointless. If the laser gun has been used ahead on another vehicle, there is a chance that the gun scatter would be picked up from a vehicle behind giving you some warning.

No the Inforad K2 isn't laser detection equipped.

Slayer said:
Hi all,

Could anybody recommend a very good compact speedcamera detector please?

I have used the old version of POGO in the past.

Thanks in advance.

I've got the new Pogo, it's ace. There is cheaper stuff, but I bought it as I want the big digital display, the fact it defaults to a digital speedo when not giving alerts, the way the speed display goes from green to red when you are over a limit, the fact It's clever (only warns of cameras in your direction of travel), the cool current average speed it gives you between average speed traps, the way you can set your own overspeed limit.

The little USB sticks are great value, but do none of that. And I just want more, cars are noisy and a bleep and some tiny lights is not enough for me to feel I'm going to be warned (I mean, how often have you got out the car and seen a text on the phone that you did not hear?), I wanted an unmissable visual alert and detail of what I'm being warned of, right in front of my face.
:thumb:

I recently threw away my old BEL detector, it was £400 in it's day and when nearly all the stuff was gatsos it was useful, today, with most cameras using no radar, it's virtually pointless, unless you like warnings of automatic doors and the like. Shame, as it saved me many times in the Esprits.
:(

I have the new road angle and it's excellent... It has all the camera, blackspots, schools pre-loaded and it also shares info between other users (i.e. camera van hotspots). It updates automatically in real time via the mobile network and also has radar detector. £6 per month is a little steep but it also has an emergency auto call out - if the car is in a crash that measures over 2G it automatically calls their emergency hotline and checks if you're ok or if you need assistance...
The system works well but be warned, on a track day i set mine off just by cornering...!

SimonD said:
it also has an emergency auto call out - if the car is in a crash that measures over 2G it automatically calls their emergency hotline and checks if you're ok or if you need assistance...
The system works well but be warned, on a track day i set mine off just by cornering...!

I'd set it off with my shoddy gear changes. When pulling away I can kangeroo so badly all the cassette holders pop up and the sat nav falls off the screen...
:oops:

They launching the Talex Wikango Max next month :dont know:

In action

How it works

At 10s, it states 650k users in France - I always thought these devices were illegal in France - so why so many? Otherwise it looks like a good bit of kit. Am sure it will be pricy.

~ Maxie

Anyone dissing the road angel pro misses the point.

Your out in herefordshire, pootling at 37MPH, you are nicked for not knowing there's one around the bend, behind a tree, whilst your fiddling with the cd player?

Wouldn't be without one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny-g
Back