Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should the IMS bearing now be considered a service item?

T8

Super Moderator
As all 996s are now between 7 and 15 years old all of their issues are so well known that enthusiasts can pretty much anticipate what service items will probably need replacing and when.

Arguably the biggest cause of 'Porsche Paranoia' amongst 996 owners has become the uncertainty of how long their IMS bearing will last.

Nobody has been able to establish exactly what causes it to break up so no-one can do anything to prevent it happening.

In the US it seems that many owners have started to think of replacing their IMS bearing as being something that they will just need to do at sometime - just as surely as they might need a new clutch or radiator set.

Considered as a single job it does seem an expensive thing to plan for (£2k? or £3k? for a Tip) but given the cost of the alternative and the adverse effects of long term paranoia on the 911 ownership experience I'm wondering if it will soon be something that UK 996 owners will soon think of as being 'the norm'.

Thoughts :?:

EDIT on 23/08/2012. The answer to my question, according to Bazhart (Hartech), would appear to be NO. Please refer to page 3. :thumb:

been thinking along the same lines ? have you been quoted those prices or just guessing ?
my previous 996 had been over looked after & one invoice showed new clutch,all forward gears replaced in box & new bearing fitted , , total from recognised indie was under £1500 i think ? can that be right ?
when ( not if 8) i get back into a 911 to stack the odds in my favour i was planning to factor in a bearing swap but not at £3k :roll:

The LN Engineering upgrade can be done with the engine in situ to all M96/97 to 2006 (ironically, up to the inception of the last souped-up IMS iteration from Porsche, which is still arguably worse).

Therefore minimal additional labour at a clutch/RMS change.

GT4 said:
The LN Engineering upgrade can be done with the engine in situ to all M96/97 to 2006 (ironically, up to the inception of the last souped-up IMS iteration from Porsche, which is still arguably worse).

Not on a Tip' unfortunately - which is why I added the extra £1k for an engine drop. :sad:

I haven't been quoted for the job but as I understand it the upgraded bearing from LN engineering is c£1k in this country so I assumed £1k labour for a manual car when done as a stand alone job.

Have (m)any 911ukers had this job done :?:

T8996C4 said:
GT4 said:

Not on a Tip' unfortunately - which is why I added the extra £1k for an engine drop. :sad:

I haven't been quoted for the job but as I understand it the upgraded bearing from LN engineering is c£1k in this country so I assumed £1k labour for a manual car when done as a stand alone job.

Sorry, I was only thinking of real Porsches ...

(the clue was in the clutch comment)

my car has done 103k miles and I have no reason to think my IMS is disintegrating any time soon. I'm more concerned about oval and scored bore.

Thread resurrected as a few others have started talking about it.

I've decided to run my car a bit more this summer and take a view about long term ownership thereafter.

As mine would need the engine to come out I'd almost certainly go the ceramic upgrade route but would be interested to hear what others have done re cheaper options.

I pulled my engine out and put in a LN engineering IMS a few weeks after I bought my car. I took that same opportunity to put in a new clutch and AOS and RMS.

To combat the scored bores issue I put in a 3rd rad, lower temp thermostat and run a higher viscosity oil and change it regularly.

With those measures implemented it's been worry free ownership ever since.

I'm sure my approach is a bit OTT in the view of some, but it's worked for me.
:thumb:

Edit >> I should add that IMHO many Porsche models have had one kind of issue or another and a good ownership experience is a matter of accepting & sorting the known issues and then cracking on... or should that be tracking on. :)

oz996 said:
I pulled my engine out and put in a LN engineering IMS a few weeks after I bought my car.

IMS or just the bearing :?:

I've resurrected this thread again as there's been a couple of major IMS related incidents affecting regular posters in the last 3 months.

As it seems that an IMS bearing failure will necessitate an engine strip down, even if there's apparently no collateral damage, it seems that shelling out £2k /£3k in anticipation of a potential problem is the way to go if you're planning on keeping your car for a while.

My quandary is whether to get mine done and keep the car or to sell it having had a relatively trouble free 3 years of ownership :?

I could just about live with the cost of preventative work IF it guaranteed a couple of years of paranoia free 911'ing, especially as I can't stomach the thought of paying £6k+ if it broke.

That said it would be even worse to spend £2k+ getting the IMS bearing done and then have the car fail on some other issue. :evil:

How easy is it to get a check done for bore scoring?

I understand that some scoring will be inevitable but at what point does the amount become an issue?

This is me >>>>>>> :dont know:

GT4 said:
Sell it and buy a 2005 997 3.8

:hand:

I know that by only having an old M96 engined car I've got less money tied up in it than many others but I can still be :sad:

Any money I spend on my current car would come out of my 997SGen2 or 996T fund ie. I'd never get to have a 996T or a 997S.

glass-half-full.jpeg

I was merely pointing out things could be worse.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahnster
Back