Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should I or shouldn't I sell ?...

samba-lee

So I'm very close to trading in my 993 (not telling you what for).

http://911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=2789

been offered £17,500 which I think is pretty good from a dealer

Can you convince me that I need to keep my 993 ? given it's a Tip...

I'm thinking longer term that I just go out and buy a cheap Tip again or Cab in the future.

Lee

17.5 is very good from a dealer, I was only being offered 10-12k from dealers.
He must have a good margin on the other car your interested in. He will probably put yours up for just under 20.
Hard to say if you should sell, as we don't know what the other car is. For me, it's the idea of getting a GT3, thats helping the thought of mine going.

Rallyeman said:
He must have a good margin on the other car your interested in. He will probably put yours up for just under 20.
Hard to say if you should sell, as we don't know what the other car is. For me, it's the idea of getting a GT3, thats helping the thought of mine going.

Thanks, I'm similarly motivated to sell (it's for a Ferrari 308) and yes I think it's a good price too. The Ferrari was a trade also so I guess for the dealer it's money for nothing.

The lower end of the 993 market is not going anywhere at the moment, and those getting into it tend to be enthusiastic older gents who are quite specific about their choices (e.g. must have a manual).

I've had mine for 3.5 years now so I think it's time for a change. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will certainly get back into them but I see the 308's are going up in value.

If I had the space and I would keep my 993...

Lee

samba-lee said:

I'm thinking longer term that I just go out and buy a cheap Tip again or Cab in the future.

Lee

If the dealer was offering you £17500 to buy it from you straight for cash then I would accept his offer forthwith. If the offer is part of a trade in deal then there is not enough information given to base advice upon.

Booo said:
samba-lee said:

Lee

Is the dealer offering you £17500 to buy it from you straight for cash?

No, it's a trade in, but still a good figure.

Would he give you the same money if it had turbo twists on it?

I'd be happy to take those cups off your hands.

PeterS said:
Would he give you the same money if it had turbo twists on it?

I'd be happy to take those cups off your hands.

Maybe, but don't most people want turbos ?

To be honest I wouldn't want to go rocking the boat on the deal now by
changing stuff.

Lee

samba-lee said:
Rallyeman said:

Thanks, I'm similarly motivated to sell (it's for a Ferrari 308) and yes I think it's a good price too. The Ferrari was a trade also so I guess for the dealer it's money for nothing.

The lower end of the 993 market is not going anywhere at the moment, and those getting into it tend to be enthusiastic older gents who are quite specific about their choices (e.g. must have a manual).

I'm an older gent but I'm looking for a tip as I live in London! When are you thinking of trading in? Been reading through all your posts and completely overwhelmed by the amount of work you have put into the car!
I've had mine for 3.5 years now so I think it's time for a change. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will certainly get back into them but I see the 308's are going up in value.

Lee

harjmatha said:
samba-lee said:
Rallyeman said:

I'm an older gent but I'm looking for a tip as I live in London! When are you thinking of trading in? Been reading through all your posts and completely overwhelmed by the amount of work you have put into the car!

Lee

Let's try again!

A rusty old 308 or are you going to try to get a fibreglass one?

My mate has had a few of these and loves them, but for me, they are really dated inside, only seat 2 people!, usually have red or beige carpets/seats, cost a fortune to fix if they go wrong, steel ones rust! and most of them are red! almost forgot to mention that they are Italian and therfore not just the rust to think about, they are also unreliable!

No good to use as a daily driver, comfort levels are grim.

Having said that, they do sound quite nice from the drivers seat, since the air intake is next to your ear!

Only my personal opinion, don't let me put you off!

Re: 308

NIBrown said:

air intake is next to your ear!

Don't worry I'm a rusty Italian car expert and I've had 70's Fiats for the last 20 years so it's familiar territory. Actually it's the GT4 I plan on getting so just as many seats as my 993 and yes they sound wonderful and I'm afraid are cheaper to fix (DIY like I do) than a 993 :)

Lee

harjmatha said:
Let's try again!

Hello again Harj, I've sent you a PM, but basically looking to trade very soon! so it's decision time for you my friend :)

Lee

samba-lee said:
NIBrown said:

air intake is next to your ear!

Don't worry I'm a rusty Italian car expert and I've had 70's Fiats for the last 20 years so it's familiar territory. Actually it's the GT4 I plan on getting so just as many seats as my 993 and yes they sound wonderful and I'm afraid are cheaper to fix (DIY like I do) than a 993 :)

Lee

Ah, well done, you sound like a you own a decent welder for the necessary!
My mates brother Kevin is a Ferrari expert, he used to work for DK Engineering for years, but now for GTO Engineering. His son has recently been buying up loads of 308s from the US to convert to racing cars, then selling on.
Interesting guys and completely car mad!

NIBrown said:
My mates brother Kevin is a Ferrari expert, he used to work for DK Engineering for years, but now for GTO Engineering. His son has recently been buying up loads of 308s from the US to convert to racing cars, then selling on.

Back corner of an early X1/9 - this is why the 993 rear chassis rust didn't worry me :)

Attachments

• img_0578_524.jpg
    img_0578_524.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 5,422

samba-lee said:
NIBrown said:

Back corner of an early X1/9 - this is why the 993 rear chassis rust didn't worry me :)

Yep, that reminds me of my old Stag, almost every panel was rotten and took me forever to weld back together! was never really worth the agro, since the money I spent (let alone the time) I never got back!
Galv is the way to go, together with good old German build quality!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MainA
Back