Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SEAT INSTALLATION HELP NEEDED PLEASE

I have 997 seats in mine and have used the 996 seat module and connectors, yes it’s very hard but I have memory seats and have most things working, I will get there in the end

Attachments

• img_3440_197.jpeg
    img_3440_197.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 255
Hi

That previous post is from my brother (it's his car). To say getting his 997 12 way memory seats working has been hard is a vast understatement on how much effort he has put into this project. He's mostly there but still has some way to go!

I have 987 seats on my 986, but thankfully simple two way ones. So easy peasy.

I hope an alternative path presents itself. You don't want to go through what he has.

All the best

Berni

Don't forget, LHD cars will be the opposite of the RHD cars in terms of seat layout.

Therefore, if the memory function (and therefore ECU) is only on the 987 drivers seat and the 987 passenger seat just has power -> switch -> motor, then I suspect you'll find getting a left hand drive 987 passenger seat switch and then removing the 987 right hand drive driver's seat ECU and switch and wiring in the LHD switch in their place will work for movement, but obviously not memory and will bolt straight into the RHD driver's side.

Alternatively, get hold of a 987 LHD passenger fully electric heated passenger seat that matches your RHD set and the fully electric movement should be plug and play (subject to correct amp fuses and you'll still need to sort out the heating circuit).

berni29 said:
Hi

That previous post is from my brother (it's his car). To say getting his 997 12 way memory seats working has been hard is a vast understatement on how much effort he has put into this project. He's mostly there but still has some way to go!

I have 987 seats on my 986, but thankfully simple two way ones. So easy peasy.

I hope an alternative path presents itself. You don't want to go through what he has.

All the best

Thanks Berni, have decided against the proposition given the valuable warnings given on here and will take an alternative, simpler route!

Berni

I fitted a 987 Cayman seat into my 996. The seat back and the seat fore and aft adjustment was electric. It utilised two cables in the existing seat wiring multiplug...
If the seats are heated or have further electrical adjustment, things do indeed get more complex.
If you want the seat I used, it's available here :

https://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=152607

Make me a sensible offer :)

Slippydiff said:
I fitted a 987 Cayman seat into my 996. The seat back and the seat fore and aft adjustment was electric. It utilised two cables in the existing seat wiring multiplug...
If the seats are heated or have further electrical adjustment, things do indeed get more complex.
If you want the seat I used, it's available here :

https://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=152607

Make me a sensible offer :)

Sadly my interior is savanna beige so not suitable I’m afraid but thanks for the thought!

I have been doing the same switch on my 996 recently, but adding in the complication that I wanted to be able to easily revert back to the 996 seats if I decide to sell the car in the future. That meant that I wasn't willing to cut the wiring loom on the 996, and so any modifications for wiring needed to be done on the 997 seats themselves. I also have full-electric memory seats on the 996 and purchased a similar spec of 997 seat (so about as complicated as it gets!).

I sourced the correct 996 block connectors (99965018040) from Design 911 for £16.50 each, but then the hunt started for the correct connecting pins (and blanking pins) that would fit into the block connector and ensure a safe and secure connection to the seats. The plastic blanking pins were easy enough (99965022540), but the actual metal ones proved a complete pain in the **** to identify.

I put my local Porsche OPC Parts Team onto it, and also looked myself online and eventually found the right ones. They are a TE Equipment 962972-1 https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/962972-1?qs=Ykyshr6pipLsLqM5nMZyow== and about 40p each.

So, how well has it worked... Well the passenger seat is all up and working with full operation no problem and is a completely reversible modification. The drivers seat is another story!

The memory module between the 996 and 997 is completely different and despite there being an obvious power connector like on the passenger seat, we've found that this isn't the way that you can get the seat working. My mechanic is currently trying to source a loom that will allow the 996 electronics to talk to the 997 module, but we'll have to wait and see on that one. In the meantime, we have managed to put the drivers seat in a fixed position to (just about) suit my driving position, so I have the improved seat but no means of adjusting it.

We'll see what happens over the coming weeks on the wiring harness convertor and, if successful, I can post some more details ;).

Despite all of the hassle, the 997 seats are definitely a big improvement in terms of comfort and provide a much lower driving position and firmer hold when you want to push on through the twisties :D

Phil

S3Highwayman said:
I have been doing the same switch on my 996 recently, but adding in the complication that I wanted to be able to easily revert back to the 996 seats if I decide to sell the car in the future. That meant that I wasn't willing to cut the wiring loom on the 996, and so any modifications for wiring needed to be done on the 997 seats themselves. I also have full-electric memory seats on the 996 and purchased a similar spec of 997 seat (so about as complicated as it gets!).

I sourced the correct 996 block connectors (99965018040) from Design 911 for £16.50 each, but then the hunt started for the correct connecting pins (and blanking pins) that would fit into the block connector and ensure a safe and secure connection to the seats. The plastic blanking pins were easy enough (99965022540), but the actual metal ones proved a complete pain in the **** to identify.

I put my local Porsche OPC Parts Team onto it, and also looked myself online and eventually found the right ones. They are a TE Equipment 962972-1 https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/962972-1?qs=Ykyshr6pipLsLqM5nMZyow== and about 40p each.

So, how well has it worked... Well the passenger seat is all up and working with full operation no problem and is a completely reversible modification. The drivers seat is another story!

The memory module between the 996 and 997 is completely different and despite there being an obvious power connector like on the passenger seat, we've found that this isn't the way that you can get the seat working. My mechanic is currently trying to source a loom that will allow the 996 electronics to talk to the 997 module, but we'll have to wait and see on that one. In the meantime, we have managed to put the drivers seat in a fixed position to (just about) suit my driving position, so I have the improved seat but no means of adjusting it.

We'll see what happens over the coming weeks on the wiring harness convertor and, if successful, I can post some more details ;).

Despite all of the hassle, the 997 seats are definitely a big improvement in terms of comfort and provide a much lower driving position and firmer hold when you want to push on through the twisties :D

Phil

Thanks Phil but I have decided it is just all too difficult for me. Really sad because the newer seats were just what I wanted, if only they had been only manual adjust!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dave H
Back