Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Scottish Silver 993 Tip - anyone familiar?

First993

Hi everyone, been looking around the forum for a month or so - great resource for anyone trying to navigate their way into aircooled, so thanks already! Looking for a good black/silver 993 C2S coupe and I've come to think the concession I might be able to live with (to bag one without getting into 4S money) would be a tip - I'm a ULEZ lurker unlikely to track, and I quite enjoyed my auto DB9.

My questions is am I missing something with this example (it's had a good few owners so I was hoping someone might recognise it), the interior and paint looks immaculate and I've been told by the selling agent that David Phillips gave it a clean bill of heath before the last purchase so that looks to be a good sign. I've seen tips fly out of the door recently at ignition classics at similar money and all the big names seem to have a waiting list, but this and a couple of other tips on autotrader seem to have been listed for a good while.

Is it that people just aren't as keen at that price for a tip as they would be for a manual, or do people really not like the blue interiors!

https://www.petervardy.com/item/224901/porsche/911-996-carrera-coupe.html

No idea why it's listed as a 996.

Cheers!

*I should add I'm going to view in person - I'd like to have a PPI but nobody seems to be available for weeks locally, so I'm wondering if anyone knows any reason why it might not be worth going that far.

Hi and welcome. :thumb:

Nice looking car and price is to be expected from a Dealer, however as mentioned the Blue Interior and Tip box are what is preventing it from flying out the door.
If it's a car you're going to keep long term and enjoy and the Dealer is willing to haggle then why not... however if it's a car you may only keep a year or two before moving on, then expect it to take a while to sell.

I can't comment on the Tip Box as both of my 993's have been manual.

Good luck in your viewing/search.

C.

Hi and welcome :thumb:

I've had my C2 993 Tip S for 21 years now and I still love it. Before my 993 I had a 964 C4 Targa manual which was great too. What I like about the Tip S is that you can poodle along in traffic in D or flip to manual and use either the stick or the paddles on the steering wheel to change gear for a nice exhilarating drive. The Tip runs on fuzzy logic so will learn your driving style. The car in the advert looks to be a Tip S. As cableguy says it's a nice looking car, but yes a blue interior (moody blue some call it) would not be for me :hand:
Mine is a keeper so I'm not concerned regarding value as a Tip. However, saying that it has been valued here in Spain at over €50.000.00 subject to inspection, so not too bad :D

Once you've seen and driven it I'm sure you'll have a better feel as to the way to go. Good luck with your search.

ATB :)

Brilliant thanks guys - I suspected as much but it's good to hear I'm not a million miles off. I had a blue two tone interior in the Aston so maybe I'm a niche buyer, but makes sense to factor in saleability (unless I drive it and get bitten of course).

Should I be concerned with the 10 previous owners if everything is mechanically sound? I had a look at previous MOT's and was surprised that a replacement rear seatbelt was needed and prev owners didn't replace the tires before absolutely required.

I'm told the suspension and engine haven't had any work (I'd prob look to upgrade to PSS10 anyway), but I guess an eventual top end rebuild is something to factor in, plus the Becker seems to have gone missing somewhere along the way looking at an eBay listing, so that'd need sorting.

Thanks again!

Ten owners for a 24 year old car doesn't seem unreasonable. Porsche's in their first few years tend to change hands regularly, even today. It's not uncommon to see 997's and 991's with multiple owners... the key thing to look for as I'm sure you are aware is maintenance & servicing.

In the six years i've owned my current 993, its had its chassis legs and leading edges of the rear arches sorted, full suspension refresh, steering rack refurb, distributor refurb along with countless other electrical/mechanical parts replaced. Engine out last year to replace rear mail seal and renewed a few other inaccessible pipes and things while it was out.
IMO I'd rather have a well sorted and maintained car over something that's been polished and sat in a garage for 11 months of the year, as these are the cars that will no doubt need some serious cash spending on them...

Spend your time looking around as there seems to be a good few polished turds around, or there was when I was looking. :thumb:

C.

cableguy said:
Ten owners for a 24 year old car doesn't seem unreasonable. Porsche's in their first few years tend to change hands regularly, even today. It's not uncommon to see 997's and 991's with multiple owners... the key thing to look for as I'm sure you are aware is maintenance & servicing.

In the six years i've owned my current 993, its had its chassis legs and leading edges of the rear arches sorted, full suspension refresh, steering rack refurb, distributor refurb along with countless other electrical/mechanical parts replaced. Engine out last year to replace rear mail seal and renewed a few other inaccessible pipes and things while it was out.
IMO I'd rather have a well sorted and maintained car over something that's been polished and sat in a garage for 11 months of the year, as these are the cars that will no doubt need some serious cash spending on them...

Spend your time looking around as there seems to be a good few polished turds around, or there was when I was looking. :thumb:

C.
Great advice. I bought 993 after full restoration a few years before, and not many miles. It had a fortune spent on it, all done properly. It's like a new car. Even so, it still requires decent money to keep up to scratch. So I'd always want to ensure everything is good underneath, and keep a sizeable post-purchase budget aside for work in the 1st year.

I also like the 'moody blue' interior, especially with silver. Makes it more interesting than silver/black for me.

The car does look very nice........two tone interiors where very nineties and I much prefer over a solid colour.......well worth a look in the flesh and priced about right in the current market :thumb:

Thanks everyone really appreciate the feedback, hopefully I'll be happily posting about oil leaks in the near future!

Is there a particular reason for wanting an S?

Without opening myself up to ridicule, for the same reason I went for the DB9 coupe over the volante, it's all about the hips! :D

All the NB car needs is lowering on a nice set of 18's with a slightly more aggressive offset or spacer to make those hips stand out.

Add a Turbo Bumper for extra effect... 8)

C.

Attachments

• 993_polar_2_186.jpg
    993_polar_2_186.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 3,132
that silver one in Scotland has had a respray, its been for sale for about 9 months. should tell you all you need to know about its price.

cableguy said:
All the NB car needs is lowering on a nice set of 18's with a slightly more aggressive offset or spacer to make those hips stand out.

Add a Turbo Bumper for extra effect... 8)

C.
Agree I wouldn't rule out a NB if it's just the width & stance, flat paint also really makes a difference instead of the usual metallics. Plus good set of 18" with slightly lower suspension set up (e.g. M033). Quite a few people have asked if mine is a wide body. Although harder to find in flat colours. Slightly lighter too (albeit only around 20kg C2 vs C2S), even lighter in the right place if you go for earlier non-AC model saving more kg's from rear.

And if you go for earlier one you get the more revvy engine with the shorter ratio gearbox (arguable the better driver's car). Plus you will save significant bit of money over an S model.

Sometimes base 911's are better / purer - but I'm biased :)

bingbongbing said:
that silver one in Scotland has had a respray, its been for sale for about 9 months. should tell you all you need to know about its price.

:hand: the market continues to shift in one direction, price is about right from a dealer for that car now, like for like a manual would be more and a 4S more again

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepee
Back