Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RS Doorcards. Talk to me.

stuttgartmetal

As bored as The Clinchmeister, Ive spent the afternoon removing the hideous door bucket, and paraphernalia.
Now, RS cards.
Talk to me.

Why are they so dear?
Anyone made a set?
I mean, how hard can it be?
Its hardboard, with vinyl stapled over the top.
Ive got the pattern.

Or are they cheap somewhere?
What do I do ?

doorcardremoval02_zps3c8a44e6.jpg

doorcardremoval03_zps239b934b.jpg

stuttgartmetal said:
Why are they so dear?

Because all RS specific parts for air cooled cars seem to have hilariously inflated price tags. That ought to be a sarcastic comment, but sadly it is just true. The real justification is probably that they are priced to a level that ensures that only people who really need them will pay it so that they only need to hold very small stocks back in the fatherland. :nooo:

Southbound are not overly pricey for leather covered RS style doorcards. You can have speakers fitted and even an elasticated pocket. If you do go for speakers, i is better to choose 6.25" rather than 5.25" so they can be secured to the inner skin of the door (if '64 door skin has same size speaker aperture as '93). If i remember corrctly, mine were 350ish including handles and pulls.

blindspot said:
Southbound are not overly pricey for leather covered RS style doorcards. You can have speakers fitted and even an elasticated pocket. If you do go for speakers, i is better to choose 6.25" rather than 5.25" so they can be secured to the inner skin of the door (if '64 door skin has same size speaker aperture as '93). If i remember corrctly, mine were 350ish including handles and pulls.

Southbound are £438.00 plus vat for leather, so over £500.00 all in

http://www.southbound.plus.com/southbound/files/Pricelist.pdf

Also they dont advertise the correct 964 handles seperately (as the do 993) so I dont know what you get with the kit

Disco said:
stuttgartmetal said:
Why are they so dear?

Because all RS specific parts for air cooled cars seem to have hilariously inflated price tags.

I realised this VERY quickly when entering Porsche ownership.

1, There are people that would buy a toothbrush, at any price, if it had 'Porsche Design' written down the side.

2, The same people would pay twice the price if said toothbrush was made of Carbon fibre.

3, If you could write the words 'Porsche RS' on a turd then there are people that would hold their noses and snap it up for rarity value alone.

4, Something can inanely, for no real reason, become a must have. Like hardback sports seats that weigh more than standard seats and aside from looking good have no purpose beyond their 'must have' perception of being something you 'Must have'.

5, Stuff like RS door cards, clearly made of stuff you could buy at a mere fraction of the price from a DIY/Craft shop but offered for money that would make a Lloyds name blush. Really, this is like taking the spare wheel cover from a Vauxhall Viva, screwing the carry handle from some 1970's cool box to it, and then mugging someone holiday money for it as a 'motorsport' part.

6, There is always someone, from OPC's to Part suppliers, ready to rip the money out of your pocket for no other reason that you own a Porsche and feel you should be treated in this way.

7, It's cheaper (so I've been told) to pay some Tom to spank you.

:grin:

I've seen a thread somewhere - here or RL - where someone made their own :dont know:

As Gary has said, appbiz is a good place to try. Bob is very helpful and responds quickly to emails. They can be a DIY but for me i'm not sure
you should when you see the quality you get from him. Fixing along the bottom of the card can be done without screws with a little thought. Left the speakers out of mine and don't miss them.Add around £50 if they get caught at Customs. With red stiching :?:
Any questions just ask.

Andy.

Attachments

• pic_1_199.jpg
    pic_1_199.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 3,658
  • p1010037_132.jpg
    p1010037_132.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 3,658
Chief is having some made at the moment, and when he gets them it is my intention to have a set made too, so long as they look as good as we are expecting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arv13
Back