Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Road trip to the Outer Hebrides.

pzero

15/9/2022 - 24/9/2022

First stop Tebay Services, bumped into a contingent of N.Wales PCGB, some of whom were headed towards Peebles, hope you had a good run out.

Called into Cameron House, Loch Lomond, to see the old time share lodge I once had, the setting still as impressive as I remember it.

First night stop was the Arrocher Hotel, well situated on Loch Long, very pleasing on the eye.
Next day took us up to Ullapool for the ferry to Stornoway. Obligatory stop on the way to take pics of Eilean Dolan's Castle.
Night stop Ullapool then ferry.
The drive from Stornoway on Lewis down to our destination on Harris took about an hour.
We stayed in a rented cottage by Loch Stockinish.

Immediately impressive all around us was the peace, tranquillity and beautiful scenery.
Luskentyre Beach was the place for our first trip out and it didn't disappoint. Absolutely made for a cheeky Jack Russell to have a good exfoliation.

We made a visit to the Callanish Stones, said to predate Stonehenge, impressive and worth the trip.

The weather throughout, apart from the last day was very good, good enough relax outside the accommodation with something chilled

A tip from a couple of local lobster fisherman at the small harbour at Stockinish saw us the day after up at the Butt of Lewis and its lighthouse, having a claim of the windiest spot in the UK. A bit blowy but nothing to take your hat off.

The trip wouldn't have been complete without a looksee at a Harris Tweed outlet in Tarbert.
Our five days and nights passed by very quickly and we soon found ourselves heading back to the ferry.
We came home via Inverness (night stop) and then on to Kirkby Lonsdale for our last night stop, via the Cairngorms and a bite to eat in Pitlochry.

Special mention to Parsley of this parish for his helpful advice. :thumbs:

I have say that I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of roads on both Lewis and Harris. :worship:
Definitely planning on making a return, probably in 2024.
Next time I might go from Uig on Skye and get the ferry to Tarbert.

Total mileage, 1773.

Hope you enjoy the pics.
One or two sizing issues with pics, click on the smaller images to see the bigger picture, so to speak.

Superb pics. Glad the weather played ball for you.

G2 said:
Superb pics. Glad the weather played ball for you.

Yes, struck lucky with the weather, just the one wet day and that was they day before we returned home.

Bonus distraction on the outbound ferry crossing, HM Coastguard were carrying out routine drills off the starboard bow.

Thanks for sharing the tale of your trip and for the accompanying pics... Cameron House was where Porsche Cars GB chose to stage the press launch of the 993 way back when..Great that you had reasonable weather too. :thumb:

Ace trip.......on mine & my other half's bucket list. The home of the legendary Harris tweed.

Tebay services are an obligatory call too. Not Byrne's & co but pretty close for some quality produce.

For those that don't know, next time you don your Harris Tweed jacket, watch this:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rupiah
Back