Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Road trip: 997 C4S or BMW M5?

Jackzi

Silverstone
Hi everyone,

long time no see. Like a lot of others over the last couple of years, I haven't done much driving in the 911. But now it's spring and we're finally actually able to go places again.

So (first world problem, I know), what car would you take on a two week road trip through France and Germany: 997.1 C4S or E39 M5?

There will be a fair bit of motorway driving (plus points for the M5 here and the 305 tyres on the 911 can be a bit much over a long distance), but nothing says 'holiday' more than taking the 'special car' for an outing.

Total projected mileage: about 1.8k over 2 weeks.

If given the option, what would you choose?

I'd take the 'special car'. I guess on a Beemer forum you may have a different answer.

More deets on the trip please :thumbs:

Sounds like fun, you can't lose whichever of those fine cars you take!

997 will use less fuel and will be fun on the minor roads, although speed limits in France are draconian.
M5 will be a better cruiser and have considerably more secure space for luggage (a consideration when parking etc and don't want to fully unload)

Call me a heretic on here, but I'd go with the Beemer.

I kind of figured I'd get a 'go with the 911' response on 911uk :D

However, you're completely right Robert, the M5 wins in terms of practicality. It's also a car I'd be less wary of parking on the street than the 911. Especially given the scant regard some people in France have for parking 'bumps'.

The plan is a couple of days on the coast of Normandy, then across through Champagne country to the Mosel area of Germany. A few days later down to Burgundy for a night, on to Lyon for a long weekend. Then back to the UK via Normandy again.

Jackzi said:
I kind of figured I'd get a 'go with the 911' response on 911uk :D

However, you're completely right Robert, the M5 wins in terms of practicality. It's also a car I'd be less wary of parking on the street than the 911. Especially given the scant regard some people in France have for parking 'bumps'.

The plan is a couple of days on the coast of Normandy, then across through Champagne country to the Mosel area of Germany. A few days later down to Burgundy for a night, on to Lyon for a long weekend. Then back to the UK via Normandy again.

With that route I would take the M5. If the Pyrenees or Alps then the 997.

Up to 2 people - 911
Over 2 people - M5

Take the BMW this time and the Porsche on the next trip.

Hmmm... that's a bummer, I have a mini meltdown working out which car to drive to work on a Friday morning. although more and more it is ending up with the turbo.

So I'm afraid I'm out :dont know:

Good luck with the trip though, sounds like a fun outing.

BMW for me, built to cover huge distances on autobahns, just what you are going to be doing. I've just done 2400 miles in 8 days in an old Mercedes through France and Spain, perfect car for the job. 911 would have done it, but the big German cars are better for just sitting there all day at high speed IMO.

MC

Decisions decisions. I'm indecisive at the best of times - it took me nearly 2 years to find my 997 after several failed PPIs and various other obstacles.

Now, to add fuel to the fire: the 997 has just over 55k miles and the M5 is on 110k (with 75k on the engine). The Porsche isn't exactly low mileage, but it's got less than half of the M5!

My thinking is that if I take the M5 I'll end up mostly on the motorways and if I take the 911, I'll be more tempted to do the odd detour.

I was actually thinking about getting an SL55 AMG for this trip and to complete the trio of cars. Couldn't find a good one in time though. That would've a good tool for the job though :D

The 911 can do everything the M5 can on an Autoroute. Get on the twisties and that's not the case. Add to that, the 911 gets much more attention on the continent. For me it'd be a no brainer. I'll be going over there at least once this year in my 150k+ 996.

Jackzi said:
I was actually thinking about getting an SL55 AMG for this trip and to complete the trio of cars. Couldn't find a good one in time though. That would've a good tool for the job though :D

I've done it in my SL55 AMG and it is superb for the job. Saw 165mph on the autobahn roof up and 130mph roof down :)

MC

It depends on what kind of driving you want to do.

If you're taking the A and B roads and you're driving, then take the 997. If you're just hammering down motorways and want to fill up with cases of wine from Champagne and Mosel, take the load carrier.

I'm going north for Easter to join my wife, and I was hoping to take my 997 and my son as co-driver, but it turns out that on the return leg, I need to take the girls as well, and all their stuff, so I've got to take the Land Rover. It's a missed opportunity and at 2.30eur/litre of the smelly stuff, I'll be driving very sedately. :sad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Damos_Cars
Back