Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replacing wing to scuttle rubbers

Jcx

Estoril
Joined
15 Aug 2013
Messages
3,876
Hi folks,

I plan to replace my wing to scuttle rubbers as they are really old and gnarly. I bought a pair of 6.5mm rubbers and a pair of 4.3mm rubbers so i could decide which are best at the point of refitting.

My first big question is this: how do i remove the old ones? I know i need to release the 2 allen bolts in each wing, visible when the door is open. But how then do i remove the old rubbers? 'Just' pull? Is it that easy?

What if, as in my case, the scuttle was previously painted with the rubbers in place and a tiny bit of paint was sprayed onto the rubbers? How likely am i to damage the paint when i pull out the rubbers? What i really mean is, will the paint be stuck to the rubbers and will i, in the process of removing the rubber, pull off any paint on the scuttle?

When fitting the new rubbers i have been advised to use a bit of soap to lube the rubber for makin ghe process of insertion easy. Why not wd40 or a bit of spray lube?

All advice is welcome.

TIA
 
Yes you probably will pull some lacquer off with the rubbers, depends how well they've been masked off?
I changed mine a couple of years ago by loosening the Allen bolts and pulling them out. I couldn't get the wing off at the time so had to cut the seals down so I could push them in with a bit of fairy liquid. I later learned I couldn't get the wing loose because there's a spot weld near the Allen bolts that needs to be knocked off, dooooh, you live and learn.


Ian
 
igaffz said:
Yes you probably will pull some lacquer off with the rubbers, depends how well they've been masked off?
I changed mine a couple of years ago by loosening the Allen bolts and pulling them out. I couldn't get the wing off at the time so had to cut the seals down so I could push them in with a bit of fairy liquid. I later learned I couldn't get the wing loose because there's a spot weld near the Allen bolts that needs to be knocked off, dooooh, you live and learn.


Ian

Thx ian, i think i need to repaint the scuttle next year anyway as the paint has tiny moisture bubblesin it and my OCD cant lve with it. So a bit of lacquer may just reinforce my need to repaint.

I dont really want to knock off the spot weld if i dont have to... So will try to follow the cut down and lube route. :)
 
Use your lube of choice :floor: .......then if you can see overspray on the rubber just use a new single edge blade or Stanley blade and cut in to the rubber from the start of the rubber/paint so you don't peel the paint/clear coat away as you pull away the rubber might not totally work but will minimise paint peel....

Then get them christmas lights up or your have the wife/kids on your case :thumb:
 
fuch said:
Use your lube of choice :floor: .......then if you can see overspray on the rubber just use a new single edge blade or Stanley blade and cut in to the rubber from the start of the rubber/paint so you don't peel the paint/clear coat away as you pull away the rubber might not totally work but will minimise paint peel....

Yes cool. Better make sure i have a steady hand.

fuch said:
Then get them christmas lights up or your have the wife/kids on your case :thumb:

:floor: love this place!
 
So I received my new rubbers today :hand: from OPC East London via Design911.

Next job: Tentatively remove the old ones.

I am nervous, don't mind admitting it.

Should I chill a little?

Here are some pics of my new rubbers collection.

IMG_1436_zpsdbc99c0e.jpg


The OEM rubber is 4.3mm wide and is on the right in the following pic. The 6.5mm wide rubber is on the left.

IMG_1438_zps92960700.jpg


Note in the pic above how the OEM rubber has two cut-outs for the allen bolts. The copy has one cut-out and one hole.

In the next image again the 4.3mm wide OEM rubber is on the right.

The width difference looks greater in the flesh than it does in this picture.

IMG_1439_zps5d410d4d.jpg


The following picture shows the different widths better.

IMG_1440_zps0e5a7ecb.jpg


Not sure yet which I will fit.

I plan to see how big my gaps are when I remove the old ones.

Hoping the narrower rubbers will fit best but suspect I will be better with the 6.5mm wider rubbers to cover old paint mask lines.

As for the 'feel' – the OEM rubbers are more, well rubbery. The copies feel more plasticky, especially the hidden sections.

Pics and notes to follow after I make progress.
 
Last bloke that tried to do it your way ended up with high blood pressure and shaking like a shitting dog :nooo:

I bought some rubber for the end pieces of my rear lights at OPC today £14ea :eek:
 
Zingari said:
Last bloke that tried to do it your way ended up with high blood pressure and shaking like a shitting dog :nooo:

I bought some rubber for the end pieces of my rear lights at OPC today £14ea :eek:

was that you by any chance Z?! :)
 
I was never the same after the crocodile incident. Lot to be said for quality when you get the extra width :thumb:

 
Zingari said:
I was never the same after the crocodile incident. Lot to be said for quality when you get the extra width :thumb:



you are just rude chum :)
 
The ones I fit come direct from Porsche using the chassis number and have always been the ones with one cut out and one hole.
I always trim the base then using soapy water push them in as far as I can then with a soft plastic bar tap them home home gradually by hitting the bar with a hammer, being careful not to hit the paint.
 
Tom Martin said:
The ones I fit come direct from Porsche using the chassis number and have always been the ones with one cut out and one hole.
I always trim the base then using soapy water push them in as far as I can then with a soft plastic bar tap them home home gradually by hitting the bar with a hammer, being careful not to hit the paint.

Thx tom. Any tips for getting to the deeper allen bolt? Is it just a door wide open move? Tried in the garage tonight with door partially open (space constrained) and i failed.

Thx jcx
 
Tom Martin said:
Fully open with a long Allen socket and ball end is best

Ok thx tom. And what if some of the current strips get left behind, tearing... Does this ever happen? If so, what to do?
 
You can fish it out with a thin pic. You can also open the gap slighty by putting aplastic wedge in just above the weld
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,313
Messages
1,444,075
Members
49,445
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back
Top