Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

replacement oil cooler options

pietrzj

Spa-Francorchamps
Anyone know where I can get a replacement oil cooler other than direct from Porsche or 911UK?
Just can't understand why they are so expensive, but I don't want to recore the one I have as I am not sure if there are reputable companies out there.
Are there any companies that sell second hand ones?
Anyone used BreakerLink?

Any help welcome

Anyone tried these "NRF", Kfz-Kauert coolers from Germany?

Photo of the leaky one

Attachments

• img_3534_copy_107.jpeg
    img_3534_copy_107.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2,293
If mine were to go now I'd probably replace with a Porsche part, they're £380 on Rose Passion (£317 + VAT), so would assume OPC is about the same?

So not too bad value if it will last another 27 odd years.

I see design 911 have them for around £600 :?

I would think that perhaps if you were able to clean the cooler off tou might find that the leak was due to the core being damaged by being hit with a stone or similar. Were that the case then perhaps the core sould be soldered, as the make-up of the core seems similar in appearance to a normal radiator and may be made up of similar materials, and I have repaired those with Araldite in times past...

A bit off topic....In my 77 911 the cooler was just a loop of tube under the front wing, and in my 82 SC the cooler was a very strongly made group of tubes with a top and bottom tank that could take any stone hit, though it seems perhaps ever more oil cooling may have been required to suit lean burn hotter running engines producing ever more power..? The 82SC cooler version would seem to have cost more to manufacture, thus perhaps cost cutting played a part in later 911`s..
:?:

The rad may still be fine unless there is an obvious leak point? The temp sender washer is a common leak point as they basically dissolve over time. The oil spreads and looks like the rad is holed when its just dirty oil and grime collecting. Clean it up and get it tested?

That is a very good point ras62. I have cleaned it up and there is no sign at all of a leak, but you can see from the pre-clean photo it looks as if it is somewhere near the top (assuming leaking oil can't defy gravity).

I will check the washer next.

Oh and the Porsche main dealer cost for a replacement is £630!!

pietrzj said:
That is a very good point ras62. I have cleaned it up and there is no sign at all of a leak, but you can see from the pre-clean photo it looks as if it is somewhere near the top (assuming leaking oil can't defy gravity).

I will check the washer next.

Oh and the Porsche main dealer cost for a replacement is £630!!

I replaced mine must have been 5 or 6 years ago. Cost about £200 and was the NRF brand but was actually stamped with Langerer and Reich like the original. Was a perfect fit too. I see they are about £300 + p&p from Germany now. Also did the ballast resistors and a/c condenser whilst it was it bits using NRF again.

Attachments

• screenshot_20220421_211708_gallery_131.jpg
    screenshot_20220421_211708_gallery_131.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,138
Thanks. Now we are post brexit I can't be sure getting a DRF cooler from Germany won't incur import duty, but glad to here they seem a good option.
I recently got a A/C condenser from AutoDoc and that came from Germany, but no extra charge for import, so not sure what the criteria is.

I am going to put the original oil cooler back on with a new washer for the temp sensor. The image below shows suspicious dark matter under the sensor that I see no reason should be there other than a potential long slow leak (there was oil around the bumper below the cooler when I bought it 7 years ago, so its a slow leak as far as i am concerned and I will monitor it closely.

And yes, I have replaced the faulty ballast resistor above the cooler while it was off the car.

Attachments

• tempsensor_964.png
    tempsensor_964.png
    582.8 KB · Views: 2,075
That's the culprit. I also had the corresponding alloy washers corrode on the thermostat inlet and outlet pipes. In fact the stat was so badly corroded at these points I decided to replace the whole thing. The oil tank and stat support bobbins were also in dire shape so these were repaired and replaced. This was on my 964 btw but worth checking all the same.

I fully cleaned the cooler and filled it with oil off the car (the only basic way I could check for a leak with my limited facilities) and let it sit for 3 days. Looks dry as a bone, so I am going to re-fit it with a new stat washer and monitor the situation.

I will let the forum know how it goes.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back