Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rebuild Finally Complete and reconditioned steering rack

786345jg

Trainee
So, one year after the car broke down in France it is now back with me full time. I know I have driven to Geneva and back since the engine was rebuilt but for me that was just a big shake down. The car went back to RPM for a few more jobs that hadn't been completed plus a few more that I hadn't expected. One of the "extras" was a reconditioned steering rack which has turned out to be just about the best mod of all. Before, initial turn in was a bit vague and the car didn't provide that much confidence that it was going to grip but know its a sharp and grippy feel through the wheel that inspires you to push it harder.
RPM thought I needed a new universal joint and then found Pentosin leaking everywhere hence the need for a rebuild.
If your car feels at all vague on turn in investigate if a rebuild is necessary as the car will feel fantastic afterwards.
There are still two more jobs to do as my ccu is on its way to Tore for repair and RPM are making some custom sill plates for me to commemorate the rebuild.
I've taken a few photos today so I'll post a couple of these shortly as they include my cup steering wheel which I think is excellent.
Here's to having a gear stick and handbrake in the same fabric soon!

786345jg said:
So, one year after the car broke down in France it is now back with me full time. I know I have driven to Geneva and back since the engine was rebuilt but for me that was just a big shake down. The car went back to RPM for a few more jobs that hadn't been completed plus a few more that I hadn't expected. One of the "extras" was a reconditioned steering rack which has turned out to be just about the best mod of all. Before, initial turn in was a bit vague and the car didn't provide that much confidence that it was going to grip but know its a sharp and grippy feel through the wheel that inspires you to push it harder.
RPM thought I needed a new universal joint and then found Pentosin leaking everywhere hence the need for a rebuild.
If your car feels at all vague on turn in investigate if a rebuild is necessary as the car will feel fantastic afterwards.
There are still two more jobs to do as my ccu is on its way to Tore for repair and RPM are making some custom sill plates for me to commemorate the rebuild.
I've taken a few photos today so I'll post a couple of these shortly as they include my cup steering wheel which I think is excellent.
Here's to having a gear stick and handbrake in the same fabric soon!

Attachments

• engine_180.jpg
    engine_180.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 884
  • interior_2_153.jpg
    interior_2_153.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 884
  • interior_151.jpg
    interior_151.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 884
  • outside_314.jpg
    outside_314.jpg