Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rebuild and running in

jlee

After engine complete gasket renewal and piston rings set, what do I need to adhere to on running in and oil change interval after rebuild ?

Oil pressure is at 1 bar on idle - is this normal ? Reaches full 5 bar on cold startup on idle and am in hot climate (Hong Kong)

Advice appreciated

Hi There

I'm in HK too!. A piston ring set and gaskets are not going to affect the oil pressure. It should be the same as before the rebuild assuming a similar grade of oil was used. 1 bar at idle when hot is within spec I think, and the manual says that the oil warning light is allowed to flicker as well (that is from memory).

I am guessing your car is a tiptronic. I do not see so many 964's in HK, although there are some stunning 964 turbos that visit Tin Hau where I live.

Berni

jlee said:
After engine complete gasket renewal and piston rings set, what do I need to adhere to on running in and oil change interval after rebuild ?

Oil pressure is at 1 bar on idle - is this normal ? Reaches full 5 bar on cold startup on idle and am in hot climate (Hong Kong)

Advice appreciated

pressures all sounds normal, but essentially the same run in period / rev limit as if the car was new as recommended by the handbook

Thanks folks. Don't have the manual so was wondering how long is the run in period. Mechanic said don't go over 4000 rpm but forgot to ask for how many Kms.

Do I need oil and filter change after xxxx km of run in?

berni29 said:
.... and the manual says that the oil warning light is allowed to flicker as well (that is from memory)

Correct! :thumb:
The oil pressure should be at least 3.5 bar at an engine speed of 5,000 rpm. When the oil is hot, the red oil pressure warning light may light briefly at idle without endangering the engine

964 Manual: Running-in Period

There is no specific running-in rules for your Porsche, however, by observing a few precautions during the first miles, you can determine the service life and performance of your engine.

In spite of the most modern high precision manufacturing methods, it is still necessary to allow the moving parts of the engine to adjust to each other in the initial hours of the engines life. This is particularly true during the first 1,000km/600miles.

Therefore:

#Never run a cold engine at high rpm either in neutral or in gear.

#Change speeds frequently and vary the transmission load. Do not exceed the max engine speed of 5,000rpm in any gear.

# Always change down in good time and use the most favourable rpm range (note the transmission diagram). Of course, this also applies later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chimp
Back