Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear wiper single wipe mod.

Citori

Mexico City
Used the car in the rain the other day (shock, horror!) :eek: and I was reminded about that awful rear wiper. One wipe clears the screen OK, but it's followed by that horrid screeching noise for two more wipes.
Time to do something about it.
I heard that you can replace a relay to make it single wipe, but I didn't know what relay and where it was.
So for anyone else who wants to do this here's how:
It's easy-peasy, all you need is a philips screwdriver and a type 53 relay. Type 53 relays are very common in the VW, Audi, Skoda range etc.
Mine was a VW/Audi relay but you can currently buy OEM quality relays from Eurocarparts for £1.98 in their sale.
Fold the back seats forward. Undo the four self-taps that hold the back panel in place. Pull out the old relay and push in the new one. re-fit the panel. Job done. :thumb:
The hardest part is climbing in to the back of the car to do it.
Now when you press the wiper switch you only get one wipe.
I know, I know, I was tempted to do a wiper delete, But my OCD would not let me live with the hole in the glass and trim. But if it they need replacing? :dont know:

Edit: corrected bad grammar :roll: :oops:

Attachments

• 6_317.jpg
    6_317.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 6,148
  • 5_125.jpg
    5_125.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 6,148
  • 4_114.jpg
    4_114.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 6,148
  • 3_941.jpg
    3_941.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 6,148
  • 2_229.jpg
    2_229.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 6,148
  • 1_297.jpg
    1_297.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 6,148
Quality Steve! I'm picking up a relay on the way home!

Thanks Rob,
10 minute job, 15 for me and my dodgy knee.
I forgot... Eurocarparts part number 450330120. Type 53 relay for VW/Audi
/Porsche.

Amazing difference isn't it? I borrowed one from my VW - I wonder what it powers? :?:

Cheers Citori,

Just ordered from Euro Car Parts £1.99 free delivery :mrgreen:

It's going to be the cheapest mod so far :D

Ridders

That's a must do.......oh Jasus......but I have got to get my fat arse into the back!!!!....therein lies a wee problem......thinks......hmm my car goes for service in a couple of weeks time.......:)

Brilliant!

:worship:

They will wonder what the sudden rush is!

PS - mine was £1.98 delivered :dont know:

GT4 said:
PS - mine was £1.98 delivered :dont know:

I stand corrected :hand: £1.98 it is :D

Ridders

This is a superb mob.

I'll definitely order the part. However, am I the only one (and I suspect that maybe I am!! :oops: ) who out of sheer badness may just leave it alone.

The appalling second and third wipes of the rear wiper are in some ways part of the character of the car (the front wipers are pretty daft too if you ask me).

It is this same line of thinking which prevented me from upgrading the lights to HIDs. The headlights of the 993 are really pretty woeful by modern standards but are "of their time". Actually, thinking about it, they were probably pretty bad even back then.

Goose said:
This is a superb mob.

I'll definitely order the part. However, am I the only one (and I suspect that maybe I am!! :oops: ) who out of sheer badness may just leave it alone.

The appalling second and third wipes of the rear wiper are in some ways part of the character of the car (the front wipers are pretty daft too if you ask me).

It is this same line of thinking which prevented me from upgrading the lights to HIDs. The headlights of the 993 are really pretty woeful by modern standards but are "of their time". Actually, thinking about it, they were probably pretty bad even back then.

Well, I sort of get your nostalgia/authenticity slant.

But, in fear of breaking your logic bubble, the 993 lights were actually available as Litronic (mono-xenon) from the factory.

So kits like Tore-B just recreate that eye-wateringly expensive (and hence very rare on cost optioned cars) function for next to nothing.

I've never used the rear wiper :oops:

Well I've just come in after fitting the new PIAA's, so I'd better get this ordered too - Thanks :thumb:

P.S. The PIAA's are brilliant on the front screen - thanks for all the recommendations, but the new blade on the back is just as bad as it was before. I know the rubber is fine now, so it must be just an issue with the arm springs or something. No rush for this - may take a look next year......

Just ordered mine :thumb:

Been watching a relay on eBay for £7.48 but hadn't pulled the trigger :)

Thanks Citori, you just saved me £5.50 and provided the info to fit, top man :thumbs:

I might need to take my name off the Bentley Books list now haha :hand:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hetryx
Back